Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I finally got my 2's!

Default Re: I finally got my 2's!

Quote Originally Posted by prychor View Post
    I have the budget, that's not a problem. I'm not a critical listener in the manner in which a full-fledged audiophile might be, but I definitely am looking to get awesome sound, and I do pick up on and pay attention to details that a casual listener would probably miss or not care about. I guess I consider myself moderately/"medium" critical. I primarily listen to music directly from CD/SACD and ALAC files. I have many classical SACDs, so excellent multi-channel performance is important to me. However, I'm not so critical that I want to spend a considerable amount more to get a 1-2% increase in quality, I want to feel like the extra expense is worth it for someone that critiques sound like I've described here.
    Are those SACD's multichannel? If they are, and you have good placement for Sierra-2's as surrounds, then I think it would be worth it. But people's tastes vary.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by prychor View Post
    I have the budget, that's not a problem. I'm not a critical listener in the manner in which a full-fledged audiophile might be, but I definitely am looking to get awesome sound, and I do pick up on and pay attention to details that a casual listener would probably miss or not care about. I guess I consider myself moderately/"medium" critical. I primarily listen to music directly from CD/SACD and ALAC files. I have many classical SACDs, so excellent multi-channel performance is important to me. However, I'm not so critical that I want to spend a considerable amount more to get a 1-2% increase in quality, I want to feel like the extra expense is worth it for someone that critiques sound like I've described here.
    I agree with Curtis. It depends what you are listening to. I several classical sacd's that are multichannel but have very little output in the surround channels. I got Sierra-2's because of surround discs from Pink Floyd, Stephen Wilson, Beck, Flaming Lips and so on. Also some blu ray concerts and movies. It's worth it to me and I don't have lots of extra funds. I now have the same tweeter sound all around and it seems like I get sounds being placed or images between my fronts and surrounds.
    You could try a pair of HTM-200's and see if they match up to your expectations.

It's variable, but many of my classical SACDs do have significant output in the surround channels. And, as a classic rock/pop fan, I intend to expand my collection to pick up key 5.1 recordings of interest to me, so I definitely believe that strong multichannel performance is important. That said, if the variation between the Sierras and the HTMs is subtle (and I identified myself earlier as kind of a "tweener" when it comes to audio quality pickiness), it's possible the HTMs would be sufficient. So that's what I'm trying to establish.

I really do appreciate the feedback, and if there is anything additional I can answer to help the recommendation, I'm happy to do so!

^^^

If you've got the funds, going by the things you've written, prychor, I would say that having five perfectly matching Sierra-2 will be worth it to you.

Honestly, the biggest "problem" is that I really think you would be easily convinced if you were to directly compare the HTM-200SE or CBM-170SE vs. the Sierra-2 in the surround positions for yourself. But if you just go with the Sierra-2 right away, you'll possibly wonder, "well how different/worse would the HTM-200SE have really sounded?"

All I can tell you is that I originally purchased 11 Ascend speakers: 3 custom Sierra Horizon RAAL speakers for the Front 3, a pair of super-custom Sierra RAAL bookshelf speakers that use the exact same larger 70-20XR RAAL ribbon tweeter and the dedicated, phase-plug midrange driver as the Horizon RAAL speakers, and three pairs of Sierra-1 NrT. I went with the three pairs of NrT speakers because the Sierra-2 did not exist at the time!

I was pretty darn happy with the sound. But I had those super-custom RAAL bookshelf speakers on hand. And, of course, I directly compared them to the Sierra-1 NrT speakers.

To put it plainly, the timbre of the RAAL speakers is different from the soft dome models (that would include the SE Series speakers, as well). It is CERTAINLY not "end of the world" horrible mis-match territory. Far from it. The SE Series and NrT speakers are excellent speakers. But they rather clearly do not sound identical to the RAAL speakers, and that timbre difference is pretty darn plain and noticeable.

So when the Sierra-2 came out, I started with one pair of upgrade kits. I wasn't sure if the new, smaller RAAL ribbon and the totally new CURV woofer would actually timbre match the Horizon RAAL. I ended up being shocked at how incredibly close they came!

I would not say that the Sierra-2 and the Horizon RAAL speakers literally sound completely identical. But I will say that in a blind comparison, I would not feel confident!

So the point of all this is to say that having that perfect timbre match between your Front speakers and your Surrounds is not nothing. It's noticeable. But it is MOST noticeable by its absence. If you were to get used to using 5 Sierra-2 all around and THEN switch the Surround speakers to soft dome models, you would pick up very quickly that the timbre no longer matches. That's the real trick of this situation.

I would recommend that, if you can afford it, "skipping" to the end of this process is the correct choice. Nothing will convince you as much as starting with the HTM-200SE, perhaps noticing the slight timbre mis-match, and then hearing the perfection of 5 matching Sierra-2. But if you're able to put any trust into my words at all, I will tell you that you'll likely end up with the Sierra-2 as your Surround at some point in the future, so why not just "skip ahead" if you can afford it right from the get go?

- Rob H. (AVRant.com Podcast co-host)

Just a quick update...it's been a bit over a month...

The 2's still sound freaking great to me...I don't have enough time to listen to them as much as I want!
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post

The 2's still sound freaking great to me...I don't have enough time to listen to them as much as I want!
    Amen brother..........Amen!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Ha...I hope its because of the brisk sales to the HVL-1...otherwise no excuses...jk.

Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Excellent! I am very happy that you are enjoying the 2's, Curtis! As I had mentioned, I was concerned (only a little though) that you would be used to the Sierra-1's, which you used for about 7 years.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Excellent! I am very happy that you are enjoying the 2's, Curtis! As I had mentioned, I was concerned (only a little though) that you would be used to the Sierra-1's, which you used for about 7 years.
    Those were 7 good years! The 1's are now in my Parents' living room where they displaced an L/C/R set of classic CMT-340's.
    -curtis

I also have been using the earlier S1's for some time now and have been pleased with them. Would using S2's across the front LCR and standard S1's for surround and 5.1 detract from the sound of the S2's in a smaller listening area? I run multichannel stereo position on Marantz 6006 and listen alot with the back pair running same as front pair. I know matching all 5 would probably be best but can't afford it now. Anyone running S2 front and S1 rears.....opinions.