Thread: Cmt-340 toe-in

Default Cmt-340 toe-in

**EDIT** After talking to Dave, he suggested I just have fun with it and experiment, which I will do. Thanksl!

I set up my cmt-340 se's 22 degrees off center which is 2 feet 7 inches from the side wall and I then moved 2 feet 5 inches from the back wall.

After looking at the measurements done by Ascend, it looked as though the speakers continued to be linear up to 15 degrees off-axis.

I then toed the speakers in 7 degrees to make an effective 15 degree off-axis angle.

Is this correct or should I toe the speakers in further to where the tweeters are directly aimed at the center position?

Also a side question. I have the HTM-200 SEs for my surrounds. From the measurements done by Ascend, I see the horizontal dispersion on them looks good up to 5 degrees off axis. Since they are being used as surrounds, should I aim them directly at the center position or should I aim them straight forward?
    Last edited by Johnny_Mac_III; 05-08-2015 at 10:11 PM.

Default Re: Cmt-340 toe-in

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Mac_III View Post
    Also a side question. I have the HTM-200 SEs for my surrounds. From the measurements done by Ascend, I see the horizontal dispersion on them looks good up to 5 degrees off axis. Since they are being used as surrounds, should I aim them directly at the center position or should I aim them straight forward?
    Usually the surrounds would be placed to the sides of the listening position. They would then be aimed towards each other, a little over the tops of the heads of the listeners. Check out this link: http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/sur...5-1-setup.html
    If they have to be behind the listening position, then they might sound better aimed directly towards the listener. Or slightly over their heads.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    Usually the surrounds would be placed to the sides of the listening position. They would then be aimed towards each other, a little over the tops of the heads of the listeners. Check out this link: http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/sur...5-1-setup.html
    If they have to be behind the listening position, then they might sound better aimed directly towards the listener. Or slightly over their heads.
    Rob H. mentioned on an episode of AVRant something that makes perfect sense to me for placement of side surrounds (when you are using a direct firing speaker). Say for example you have a couch that seats three people. You need to make sure that you can draw a straight line from each person's ear to the speaker. If you have a higher backed couch this likely makes the need for raising the speaker above ear level. If you plan to have three people on the couch (that is not high backed), this probably requires you to move the speakers slightly behind the listening position and/or raise them above ear level. If you don't have a high back couch or plan to have multiple people listening, then it is much less critical. However, some people find the side surrounds draw too much attention to themselves if they are at ear level. This is especially the case if the listener is closer to the speaker. If one has a larger room, where the distance from the side surrounds to the sweet spot might be pretty large, then it might be okay to have the surrounds closer to ear level. Though all of the immersive audio formats are calling for the side surrounds to be at ear level, I wonder if eventually it would be mixed different so that ambient sounds occur somewhere between ear level speakers and height speakers, so that it sounds natural and not distracting (but that is probably a bit far off in the future when we get a lot of mixes that do this).

Thanks! Yeah, I am an avid AV Rant listener! Some of the best advice out there.

I had put my htm-200 se's 2.5 feet above my head from the setup recommendation from ascend (which recommends 2-3 feet) and due to their amazing off-axis vertical dispersion. However, the crossover from audessey is calling for is 150 Hz. So, that is either to high without angling down or their is a null that I am dealing with. I'm going to trouble shoot this tonight and see what I come up with. I think I may take Rob's advice and get them just above my head.