Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Running CBM-170s as acoustic suspension?

Default Re: Running CBM-170s as acoustic suspension?

The speakers output is very linear. Any emphasis on a particular frequency will be caused by the room.

Quote Originally Posted by tomker View Post
    I see. This prompted me to download a tone generator. Regardless of my receiver settings, I'm getting minimal output from the speakers below 50Hz at my usual listening levels, so I don't know if those frequencies are causing any audible problems.

I did notice that the output around 60Hz seems MUCH louder than around 70Hz and above. Could this be something to do with output from the port, or a room mode, or both, or neither...?

Thanks again for your time.
    This is due your room. The bass output of the speaker falls off linearly. I suggest you read about room modes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room_modes
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    This is due your room. The bass output of the speaker falls off linearly. I suggest you read about room modes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room_modes
    Thank you. I just checked and the wavelength of 60Hz is 18 feet which is almost exactly the length of the room where I have the speakers. So that makes sense. I was wondering if the placement of the speakers relative to the rear wall was making a difference but I suppose that with wavelengths this long, it doesn't really matter. (I have them about 18" from the wall.) And from the Wikipedia article it sounds like any treatment I can put on that wall will be fairly pointless, again due to the wavelength. I suppose I will have to resign myself to the idea that my apartment will not sound like a concert hall. Thanks for the time and patience.