So got the Room EQ a few weeks back and couldn't be more pleased...

Bit of background - my listening room is a nightmare - it's square, 20ft ceiling, half wall on one side, and both listening positions are outside the sweet spot. I spent a few hours playing with placement and settled with the exact spot recommended in the Cardas guide on speaker placement using the golden ratio - highly recommended if anyone thinks placement isn't dialed in. It gave me a better starting point, but I needed help beyond by basic acoustic treatment and placement.

While the Dirac Mic stuff does take awhile to setup, especially if you optimize for multiple spots, it's totally worth it. It knocks out all the standing waves ( my 14db gain at 48hz, etc), brings everything in line/phase, and tweaks gain and delay to move the sweet spot to your listening position.

Sound travels about 1ft in 1ms, so a chair 4 feet left the sweet spot gets loud left channel and 4ms delay on the right channel - the MiniDSP dials in the balance and tweaks the delay to get both channels hitting you at the same time - the different this makes to the stereo image is amazing, everything is crisper, cleaner, and the sound surrounds you - especially noticeable on live recordings or strong vocal tracks. And I don't miss that 48hz room gain a bit :P

Out of curiosity I moved the chair right to the sweet spot, did some A/B with the natural sound and the room eq - same results as above, just a bit more subtle. Even if I could sit in the sweet spot I'd want this thing, it's that good... If you have a great room and acoustic treatment not sure if it's worth the cash, but anything less I highly recommend it!

Happy listening.