Thread: 28 watts per channel? A joke for my Sierra-1?

Default 28 watts per channel? A joke for my Sierra-1?

So, i have the 5.1 channel system with 3 sierra-1 in front and 2 htm-200 in rear.

Reading that Sierra1 sensitivity of 87db and my receiver Denon 4311
    140 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.05% THD, with 2 channels driven
    This means that i am only giving about 28 wats per channel???

So if i add an amp like let's say Emotiva xpa-3 or -5. Huge difference in sound or just louder? Because i don't need louder. I am just thinking that with extra power these babies may open up to something much more
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR 4311ci
    L/R - Ascend Sierra-1 NrT
    Center - Ascend Sierra-1 NrT
    Surrounds - Ascend HTM-200
    Sub - Rythmik F12
    TV - Sharp LC-80LE650U 80-inch
    Screen - 135" STR-169135-G Silver Ticket 4K Ultra HD Ready
    Projector - Epson Home Cinema 3100 1080p
    SACD Player - Sony C222ES

Default Re: 28 watts per channel? A joke for my Sierra-1?

Although they are very vague in their power output aside from stereo, I did read that max total wattage output is 780w. So, although they don't say what the output is in 5.1, I am sure it is not 28 watts per channel. More likely closer to 85. 140 is probably the max each amp can do on their own. But in 5 channel mode it is probably less.

However Pianist, I am in the same conundrum you are. I "know" my SC-65 has more than enough power to aptly power the future Sierra 2's I will buy in the future...But...I want to make sure I have enough for them. Hence, I am buying an Emotiva XPA-3 for them when I buy them to be sure. Is it necessary? Probably not as my discussion with Dave decree's. But, Am I going to do it for m own reassurance that I am getting the best I can out of my investment? You bet ya. Haha.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by dtsequoia; 04-06-2015 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Added reasoning regarding Emotiva XPA-3
    -Ben

Normally the power supply power is available to all your channels, so if the total power of the supply is 140 watts, that's what it can deliver in total. So essentially, if you were playing mono through 5 identical speakers for a 140W amp, it would be like 28W / channel.

I can't find the total power of the power supply, but everywhere I saw mentions that it's 140W per channel.. Actually: "Fully discrete, identical quality and power for all 9 channels (140w each channel, 20-20Khz, 0.08% THD, 8 ohms)" http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Electr...dNumber=QLN45Q

http://www.hifiexpert.eu/media/pdf/AVR-4311_EN_S.pdf

So yeah, looks like you should be getting >100W per channel

oh but you have the ci anyway ... meh, I think it's similar...
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 04-06-2015 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dtsequoia View Post
    Although they are very vague in their power output aside from stereo, I did read that max total wattage output is 780w. So, although they don't say what the output is in 5.1, I am sure it is not 28 watts per channel. More likely closer to 85. 140 is probably the max each amp can do on their own. But in 5 channel mode it is probably less.

However Pianist, I am in the same conundrum you are. I "know" my SC-65 has more than enough power to aptly power the future Sierra 2's I will buy in the future...But...I want to make sure I have enough for them. Hence, I am buying an Emotiva XPA-3 for them when I buy them to be sure. Is it necessary? Probably not as my discussion with Dave decree's. But, Am I going to do it for m own reassurance that I am getting the best I can out of my investment? You bet ya. Haha.

Hope this helps.

Be sure to do an A/B test and report back :-)

See if you can hear anything other than see that now a -20 volume on receiver makes sound twice louder than it was without the amp.
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR 4311ci
    L/R - Ascend Sierra-1 NrT
    Center - Ascend Sierra-1 NrT
    Surrounds - Ascend HTM-200
    Sub - Rythmik F12
    TV - Sharp LC-80LE650U 80-inch
    Screen - 135" STR-169135-G Silver Ticket 4K Ultra HD Ready
    Projector - Epson Home Cinema 3100 1080p
    SACD Player - Sony C222ES

The Denon 4311 is a pretty robust AVR. I saw measurements of it on a European site that showed 100 watts per channel with five channels driven. That's more than you'll every need, in my estimation, because you NEVER run into the situation of having all channels driven at max level at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pianist718 View Post
    So, i have the 5.1 channel system with 3 sierra-1 in front and 2 htm-200 in rear.

Reading that Sierra1 sensitivity of 87db and my receiver Denon 4311
    140 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.05% THD, with 2 channels driven
    This means that i am only giving about 28 wats per channel???

So if i add an amp like let's say Emotiva xpa-3 or -5. Huge difference in sound or just louder? Because i don't need louder. I am just thinking that with extra power these babies may open up to something much more
    I do not understand, what exactly are you trying to calculate? How are you coming up with 28 watts? Your receiver is capable of supplying 140 watts per channel at 8 ohms with 2 channels driven. How much power a receiver or amp can supply to a speaker is not related to speaker sensitivity.

With your receiver driving a pair of Sierra-1, it can supply 140 watts to each Sierra-1. That is likely much more power than you will ever demand of it.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I do not understand, what exactly are you trying to calculate? How are you coming up with 28 watts? Your receiver is capable of supplying 140 watts per channel at 8 ohms with 2 channels driven. How much power a receiver or amp can supply to a speaker is not related to speaker sensitivity.

With your receiver driving a pair of Sierra-1, it can supply 140 watts to each Sierra-1. That is likely much more power than you will ever demand of it.
    OP did 140/5 = 28. He is not thinking that it is 140 watts per EACH channel in a 2 channel mode.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmt2000 View Post
    OP did 140/5 = 28. He is not thinking that it is 140 watts per EACH channel in a 2 channel mode.
    Ahh -- I see it now. That is not quite the way it works. Even at 140 watts per channel, that doesn't mean each channel can deliver that amount at the same time. The output transistors (or amp modules) are likely rated at 140 watts each, but each of those will draw current from the power supply. I have never seen a receiver that has a power supply beefy enough to provide full rated power continuously to each channel.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com