Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 170's and Sibilance

Default Re: 170's and Sibilance

Quote Originally Posted by jerrymb View Post
    The sibilance on the 170's was stll there but maybe a touch less compared to other speakers I've had. I have the 170's boxed back up and I'm just waiting to hear from Ascend on the return. I tried to remove the logo and reposition it but when I try to remove it part of the grill starts to pull away with the logo and I don't want to tear the grill.
    I'm thinking that Curtis (and others) may be right. It sounds like you're going to need to move up a notch or two for the sound you're looking for, since all the speakers in your budget range are sounding similar regarding the "sssssss" frequency. Unfortunately, your budget would have to increase for a speaker with a top-notch dome or ribbon tweeter that will sweeten the top end.

Just out of curiosity, though, can you name some of the CDs that give you problems? Do you get the same results listening to an audiophile quality CD? Because if you do, then something other than the speaker could be at play (as suggested by others), since I had never heard sibilance on the 170s from well recorded CDs.

I hear sibilance on many Dylan cds especially his latest Tempest. I don't have any audiophile cds. I know that what i'm hearing is in the recording because I have planty of cds that sound nice and smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrymb View Post
    I hear sibilance on many Dylan cds especially his latest Tempest. I don't have any audiophile cds. I know that what i'm hearing is in the recording because I have planty of cds that sound nice and smooth.
    Well, I thought it was a universal problem. Better speakers won't hide a problem. My experience is that better speakers make good source sound better, but also reveal more clearly shortcomings in the original material. I fear you are on an unobtainable quest. You put the problem at the feet of speakers though the problem is with certain recordings.

I concur with DougMac. That you can hear certain CD recordings to sound nice and smooth suggests that the speakers may not be the problem. Your situation sounds universal, that is, most of us have gone through what you are experiencing. We all want nice and smooth sound all the time, but I'm not sure if that's even possible, regardless of the cost of the speakers or electronics. In my situation, I don't listen to many of my older CDs and LPs any longer because they sound fatiguing. Now, for the genre/groups I like, I spend time beforehand looking at such details as who mastered the CD, the bit rate/depth, is it SACD, HDCD, etc, before I purchase. On the one hand, it's kind of a bummer that good speakers keep me from listening to some of what I enjoyed in the past, because they are so revealing. But, when I do find well recorded music, the listening experience is deep satisfaction.

Best of luck with the sibilance issue.