Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 170's and Sibilance

Default 170's and Sibilance

I just ordered a pair of 170's. With the other speakers I've had over the last several years I always had a problem with strong sibilance. Some speakers more than others. I had a pair of the Wharfdale Diamond 10.2's and the sibilance on those was strong. I know that some recordings are poorly mastered and have more sibilance than well recorded cds do. How are the 170's on vocals? Will they tame sibilance or enhance it?
    Last edited by jerrymb; 03-29-2015 at 02:54 PM.

Default Re: 170's and Sibilance

Quote Originally Posted by jerrymb View Post
    I just ordered a pair of 170's. With the other speakers I've had over the last several years I always had a problem with strong sibilance. Some speakers more than others. I had a pair of the Wharfdale Diamond 10.2's and the sibilance on those was strong. I know that some recordings are poorly mastered and have more sibilance than well recorded cds do. How are the 170's on vocals? Will they tame sibilance or enhance it?
    Sibilance almost always starts with the recording/source. The 170's certainly won't add to it.

Do you feel you are more susceptible to sibilance than others? Have you ever had your hearing checked to see what frequencies are bothering you?

Don't you own 340's?
    Last edited by curtis; 03-29-2015 at 11:05 PM.
    -curtis

I haven't had the 340's in at least 4 years. One speaker was damaged beyond repair. My hearing was checked and is perfect.

I haven't had the 340's in at least 4 years. One speaker was damaged beyond repair. My hearing was checked and is perfect.
    Did the 340's cause you any problems with sibilance?
    -curtis

Honestly I can't remember. I don't believe so.

Honestly I can't remember. I don't believe so.
    Do you remember why you moved away from the 340's rather than just replacing the damaged one?

IMO...no Ascend speaker has any problem with sibilance.

The 340 is slightly more forward sounding than the 170, so if it didn't cause you any problems with sibilance, the 170 certainly won't either...of course all things being equal such as your source.

One comment you had in some old postings were you felt the 340's didn't have a lot of bass...I replied that that the 340's don't have exaggerated bass, and don't play very deep. The 170's, have less bass extension than the 340's.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...-Bass-Question
    -curtis

I couldn't afford to replace the damaged 340. I've had Whardale,Epos,Polk and JBL speakers since then and the sibilance on all was strong. The JBLs were the smoothest but the sibilance was still there.

Hi jerrymb - I owned a pair of the original 170s for 11 years or so; they are still in my home but being used by my son. I agree with Curtis that sibilance starts with the recording, even on audiophile recordings. Case in point - I have a Steely Dan Aja LP by Mobile Fidelity. The lead singer's lisp is evident and comes across as sibilance through the 170s. But on other recordings which are not "hot", the speakers did not add sibilance and sounded crisp and clean. Now, there are speakers out there that nearly take away sibilance even from hot recordings. I own a speaker that has a ribbon tweeter, and the highs are noticeably sweeter than the 170s, but they also cost about 2.5 times more.

So, will the 170s tame or enhance sibilance? Only you can be the judge of that, based on your experience with your current speakers. At least there is a trial period. -moris4wildlife

Thanks for your reply. The 170's arrive tomorrow.

Thanks for your reply. The 170's arrive tomorrow.
    Congratulations! Let us know what you experience regarding sibilance vs your other speakers.