Thread: 340s or 170s for mains?

Default 340s or 170s for mains?

**Update** I ended up going with the 340s. I can't wait

I need some suggestions for my mains in a 7.2 channel setup. I am trying to decide between the cbm-170s and the cmt-340s.

What's important to me in this order:

Linear from 80 hz to 20 kHz
    Efficiency high enough to be driven by amp for dynamic range of 85 db peaks
    Low Distortion
    Good Transient Response
    Good off Axis response
    Low Enclosure Coloration

My room is 13x18x8

50% music/movies

My setup decided so far:

CMT 340 center
    HTM-200 se for surrounds
    Rythmik LV12r
    Denon x4000

Thanks for the help. I hope to put in an order tonight if possible.
    Last edited by Johnny_Mac_III; 03-26-2015 at 10:36 PM. Reason: No help needed anymore

Default Re: 340s or 170s for mains?

I ordered the 340's for my L,C,R and the 200's for my 4 surrounds. Couldn't be happier with them so far.

Awesome. They haven't shipped yet. I can't wait.

I think you'll be very happy with your choice. I run 340's L/C/R, 170's side surround and 200's rear surrounds. I love the setup.

I'm not one who normally goes with audio equipment break in, but I do think the 340's need to play awhile before they open up. This was substantiated by me son. He heard them when they first arrived, then heard them again a couple of weeks later. He remarked on how much better they sounded.

I don't know what you had before, but the 340's are definately West Coast speakers. They are very detailed with a very neutral (flat) response. If you are used to speakers that "cheat" the sound with a mid-bass hump, you might think they are a little thin sounding. It won't take long before you appreciate how good accurate sound can be.

Hey. I just hooked them up last night on their stands with 50 lbs of sand for each stand. I'm have them crossed over at 80 hz with a Rythmik LV12r. I also am running audessey xt32 in "flat" mode. These are amazingly detailed speakers. They can replicate everything I throw at them with precision. I love them
    Last edited by Johnny_Mac_III; 04-07-2015 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Mac_III View Post
    These are amazingly detailed speakers. They can replicate everything I throw at them with precision. I love them
    Glad you're enjoying them. Just wait until they "relax" a little.

We held a dinner for a visiting nursing faculty member from Sweden. When our guests saw our dedicated home theater, they wanted a demo. I showed them "Please Don't Keep Me Wonderin'" from the Crossroads Guitar Festival, featuring Derek Trucks and members of Los Lobos. It's on blu-ray and in DTS 5.1. I didn't really crank it, I was at -10 below reference. Still it was pleasantly loud. At the end of the song when I turned down the volume, our friends actually stood up and cheered. They said they felt they were right there at the concert.

Awesome! This is the first time I've had really good speakers. I have a question though. If you turn your AVR to say -20 db, is it normal to hear a slight hiss if you put your ear up to the speaker?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Mac_III View Post
    Awesome! This is the first time I've had really good speakers. I have a question though. If you turn your AVR to say -20 db, is it normal to hear a slight hiss if you put your ear up to the speaker?
    This might be normal. What you have as the input setting when you hear the hiss? Is the hiss equal at all speakers? If one channel has hiss at that level and the others don't, it may be an indication of the problem. You may be noticing the hiss now since the tweeters in your Ascends are so good.