Thread: CBM-170 re-finishing suggestions

Default CBM-170 re-finishing suggestions

Hi guys, I have a pair of 170's with some nicks and scratches in the finish from the old owner. I want to refinish them and had in mind to prime them and then use an auto paint finish on them. Question would be is this possible, is the stock finish a vinyl wrap or paint, the current finish seems to have a little texture that would make me believe that I could possible leave the current finish on and apply primer on top. Looking for ideas and suggestions on how to go about this project.

Default Re: CBM-170 re-finishing suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by apstoltz View Post
    Hi guys, I have a pair of 170's with some nicks and scratches in the finish from the old owner. I want to refinish them and had in mind to prime them and then use an auto paint finish on them. Question would be is this possible, is the stock finish a vinyl wrap or paint, the current finish seems to have a little texture that would make me believe that I could possible leave the current finish on and apply primer on top. Looking for ideas and suggestions on how to go about this project.
    You can certainly refinish the speakers the speakers, but you will have to remove the PVC wrap first. I do not recommend painting over this.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Ok. Will the pic wrap come off pretty easy with a heat gun?

Quote Originally Posted by apstoltz View Post
    Ok. Will the pic wrap come off pretty easy with a heat gun?
    It can take some effort and there will likely be some adhesive residue left on the cabinet that will also need to be removed.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com