Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TV on top of horizon?

Default TV on top of horizon?

How do people feel about putting a 55" plasma TV on top on a horizon center? Will it hold the TV?
    Last edited by AllanMarcus; 02-24-2015 at 06:12 AM.

Default Re: TV on top of horizon?

Just curious... you can't mount the TV to the wall?

Quote Originally Posted by luisv View Post
    Just curious... you can't mount the TV to the wall?
    It's possible, but I might not want to while I'm testing the center to see if I want to keep it. My current center fits in my cabinet, but the Horizon will not. I don't want to mount the TV until I know I will be keeping the center.

Even then, I might just prefer to keep the TV on the center, if that works out.

Gotcha... with 2 kids, I'm not a fan of placing a TV on top of a speaker as you just never know what curious hands will do if you're not in the room. Short term, I'm sure it can be done as the cabinet is well braced, but I would wait for Dave to weigh in or call them directly to obtain their recommendations.

The Horizon is plenty strong enough to support the tv. I would be extra careful to not damage the finish.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by AllanMarcus View Post
    How do people feel about putting a 55" plasma TV on top on a horizon center? Will it hold the TV?
    Hold the TV with ease We have many customers who have do this.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Darn it! You guys keep blocking my efforts to find a reason not to buy! :-)

I'm pretty darned close. My budget is limited and my main use is for watching TV, with 10-20% music and 5% movies. I want the best dialog for the TV that I can afford. I'm leaning heavily (no pun intended) on getting the Horizon RAAL center now, and getting the new Chane A5rx-c towers now, then upgrade to Sierra's when I get the money. The Chanes just seems like the little brothers of the Seirras. I know the Chane towers are about the same cost as the 340's wit the stands, but I have such glowing reviews of both companies, I gotta try both. I know, many would argue not to mix and match, but I'm just not sure I would be able to identify the "timbre" issue since I really don't use the centers and the mains at the same time too much (beyond TV viewing).

At any rate, thanks for the help on the load capacity of the speaker. I'm working up the nerve to order.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Hold the TV with ease We have many customers who have do this.
    What is the maximum weight you would put on top of the Horizon?

Any center channel will sound better when you take it out of a cabinet. If I were you I would mount the TV on the wall, it is an easy project. We resisted this for a couple of years for various reasons, but everything looks better and sounds better now.

Quote Originally Posted by Brono View Post
    What is the maximum weight you would put on top of the Horizon?
    This isn't something that we have actually calculated, but the Horizon cabinet is extremely well built and heavily braced. When they are palatalized for shipping, there are typically 4-5 layers of stacked cabinets. For the cabinets on the bottom, that is about 150 pounds on each. It would be important that the weight be dispersed.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com