Thread: Sub level ?

Default Sub level ?

Hi all,

Have been re-tweaking my system placement as of late ,having to re-run anthem room correction. When ARC run the sub level is set - 10db, but if I check it with a SPL meter after setup with pink noise test it is no where near the level db of the other speakers and have to set it to +4db to get it close. What am I missing hear, is this normal for room correction to be so off for sub level? I have read about changing physical sub level knob, but with it being so far off from SPL reading would have to change that way higher then the 12 o'clock position I currently have set.

Default Re: Sub level ?

What SPL meter are you using. It is probably not the room correction being off, but your SPL meter.

They need to be checked and calibrated. Usually you can find a general correction file online somewhere
    -curtis

Hi Curtis,

It is a smart tools sound meter app on my android. Let me check the calibration.

it is my understanding that the sound meter apps on Android and iOS phones are notoriously inaccurate.
    -curtis

Thank Curtis,

I wasn't it expecting to be perfect, but it actually was pretty dead on will all the other speakers, against the ARC measurements. I know sub level is harder for SPL meter to read. Thou I did find some information on the anthem forum, to make sure to set the sub level first before running any ARC, otherwise ARC may give you weird results. I am going to try defaulting everything and then doing that first and then re running ARC.

Thanks for your quick responses!

I was able to set sub level first then re-ran ARC, and things have configured properly now.

On another note for my Sierra Towers, I have the dreaded 100Hz dip and 60 Hz peak, ARC pretty much fixes, but I would like to get closer to flat before running ARC. I have tried different speaker/listening placement, but nothing seems to tame it. I am waiting on some more treatments for my room, but was wondering if anyone knows what area of the room normally causes this?

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by AR2ax man View Post
    I was able to set sub level first then re-ran ARC, and things have configured properly now.

On another note for my Sierra Towers, I have the dreaded 100Hz dip and 60 Hz peak, ARC pretty much fixes, but I would like to get closer to flat before running ARC. I have tried different speaker/listening placement, but nothing seems to tame it. I am waiting on some more treatments for my room, but was wondering if anyone knows what area of the room normally causes this?

Regards
    Dip at around 100Hz can be floor bounce. Not much you can about that and don't even be concerned with it. A peak at 60Hz can be an issue with blending the speakers with the sub. Try adjusting the phase on the subwoofer.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave,

Thanks for the response, after much tweaking today I tamed it quite a bite. I moved the towers more away from the wall, and moved the listening seat back. Things are coming together!

Quote Originally Posted by AR2ax man View Post

Regards
    What are you using to take these measurements?
    - Rega RP6 Turntable / TT- PSU, Groovetracer Ref Subplatter, Herbie Mat
    - Audio Technica AT-33PTG/II 0.3mV MC, Jasmine LP2.0 mkII
    - Sony BDP-S470
    - Audio Refinement (YBA) Tuner, Pre-5, Multi-5 amp
    - Mogami 2549 interconnect with Furutech 126g RCA, Mogami 2921 speaker cable
    - Tekton 6.5t monitors in makore cherry with Sound Organization Z Stand

Sierra Towers w/ RAAL in satin epresso on order