Thread: 4 ohm Horizon worries me

Default 4 ohm Horizon worries me

I have a Yamaha RX-A820. The mains can be set to 4ohm, but not the center. I called Yamaha and they do not recommend using a 4ohm speaker for the center. The specs on the Horizon say it's 4 ohm. I don't play with the volume all that loud, even when watching a movie. Does anyone else run the Horizon center with an 8 ohm consumer grade receiver?

Thanks,

Allan

Default Re: 4 ohm Horizon worries me

The 4 Ohms you noticed is the minimum impedance. This is the lowest load the speaker pulls. This won't be constant. The Horizon is rated for 4, 6, and 8 Ohm amps.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanMarcus View Post
    I have a Yamaha RX-A820. The mains can be set to 4ohm, but not the center. I called Yamaha and they do not recommend using a 4ohm speaker for the center. The specs on the Horizon say it's 4 ohm. I don't play with the volume all that loud, even when watching a movie. Does anyone else run the Horizon center with an 8 ohm consumer grade receiver?

Thanks,

Allan
    Allan, as Blutarsky mentioned, the Horizon is not a 4 ohm speaker. For speakers, impedance will vary with frequency. 8 ohms speakers will typically dip down into the 4 ohm range for some frequencies (minimum impedance) and peak as high as 40 ohms at other frequencies. For 4 ohm loudspeakers, they will typically dip below 3 ohms, sometimes even below 2 ohms for certain frequencies. Minimum impedance is not what determines the overall impedance rating for a speaker.

The Horizon presents an easy "8 ohm average" load to an amp or receiver. It also has a very mild phase angle - the critical factor in determining how difficult a loudspeaker is to drive. No concerns running the Horizon off your Yamaha, or any other receiver for that matter
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by AllanMarcus View Post

Thanks,

Allan
    You shouldn't be using the 4 Ohm setting in the receiver at all.

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-amp...ector-switch-1

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Allan, as Blutarsky mentioned, the Horizon is not a 4 ohm speaker. For speakers, impedance will vary with frequency. 8 ohms speakers will typically dip down into the 4 ohm range for some frequencies (minimum impedance) and peak as high as 40 ohms at other frequencies. For 4 ohm loudspeakers, they will typically dip below 3 ohms, sometimes even below 2 ohms for certain frequencies. Minimum impedance is not what determines the overall impedance rating for a speaker.

The Horizon presents an easy "8 ohm average" load to an amp or receiver. It also has a very mild phase angle - the critical factor in determining how difficult a loudspeaker is to drive. No concerns running the Horizon off your Yamaha, or any other receiver for that matter
    OK, many thanks. The reason I asked is the specs on the Horizon web page state 4 ohms minimum impedance, but it also says it's compatible with 4, 6, and 8 ohm rated amps and receivers. Maybe a row stating the Horizon is an 8 ohm speaker would be useful for the less educated, like me.