Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Rythmik F8

Default Re: Rythmik F8

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    Hey Ron....thou I've never experienced Rythmik in home, I have heard them a couple of occasions...my first encounter albeit brief was at PSA when I dropped by the shop whilst in the area and second was closer to home at a friends gtg both vtf15h and fv15hp on display along with some diy subs....aamof the RA and Hsu where dual setups...but without hearing them in my home I can not comment or speculate regarding SQ or personal preference.
    So you listened to a Rythmik Audio subwoofer at PSA shop (as Power Sound Audio)?
    Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
    Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE (x2) + FV25HP | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 (x2) | Panasonic 820 | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony VW295ES | 92" Stewart ST100 |
    Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
    Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony 65Z9D |

Quote Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
    So you listened to a Rythmik Audio subwoofer at PSA shop (as Power Sound Audio)?
    No... both listening session where here locally....my first encounter...yes..was at PSA in Mineral Ridge...I met with Jim at the time...it was about 4yrs ago.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesiskav View Post
    Ron, I may have misspoke about what Brian would say. I know Dave has shown a preference for the F8.

When it comes to bass heavy movies scenes, I too have hit the limit of dual F8 on occasion with some movies (TRON, LOTR). One thing I found interesting in my testing is that that dual F8s have pretty decent output at very low frequencies. I can get my doors 30 feet away to audibly vibrate with 12hz test tones with the F8s. As you go higher in frequency, however, the output capability does not increase as much as with some other subs.
    Yes. That dreaded Tron movie made me return the F8s. I was testing things out and was planning to watch the "light cycle battle" scene but the subs threw up at the very first scene where the guy (Flynn) ends up at the "digital frontier". But I guess that's what will happen if we try to mis-use the product. As far as I know F8s were not designed to play very heavy bass scenes in Interstellar. The upcoming 18s are for that purpose. But I will and many others am sure would like to know how good the F18 is for music

Thanks
    Ron
    Last edited by rsmt2000; 01-03-2017 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Typos

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    No... both listening session where here locally....my first encounter...yes..was at PSA in Mineral Ridge...I met with Jim at the time...it was about 4yrs ago.
    BTW, I think Funk makes some pretty impressive subs. I would like to own one or two. As well as something from JTR and PSA, and HSU. I think I have a problem.

I had a small group at new year party my house for 20+ people. I never showed off my subwoofer business. But my wife urged me to do it. So I invite them to my 2 channel setup. It has AA 340SE plus a 15" sealed subs. I first showed them how the speakers just disappear and then played the Chesky Test CD 2 where there is a group of percussion musician come into a warehouse and circle around the microphones. The sound stage from those AA 340SE plus subwoofer is just amazing. The sound never appears from the speakers themselves. Not only that, you can hear they go to behind the speakers, to the left of the left speaker, then to the front of both speakers and then to the right of the right speaker, and continue circling. The sound stage was almost 3 dimensional, left and right, back and front, and low to high. The same Chesky test CD2 also has a track to test if microphone can hear the height. They kept asking me if that is multi-channel or some DSP (again buzz words). I told them it is 2 channel, unaltered in any way. I told them, that room is the best I have found in years. All that audible illusion is created by coherent sound from reasonably controlled wall reflection. My speakers are placed about 4 ft from back wall and 5 ft from side walls. It is difficult for me to give it back to my wife. I use that for all of my subwoofer testing. Towards the end, I had to play "Bass I love you". They saw the cone movement.

Sound is a fasinating thing to a lot of us. That group of mine indeed have different level of experience in audio. The most experienced one has a coaxial Tonnoy and he asked me to demo with small emsemble music and I played "Spanish Harlem" by Rebecca Pidgeon. He commented my system sounds much better than his in terms of articulation. He used exact the same track when he shopped for his speakers. Of course I also told them I am old fashion and therefore I am still using Ayre CD player, which by itself costs more than the rest of the system combined. What was interesting is one of them also brought up "****". The power of marketing is just amazing.

Now how do I know what I know now? It is via friends, it is via trade show (Audio show such as CES that I went more than 10 times), and it is via publication (both peer reviewed and non-peer reviewed). I was so lucky that I had an audio fanatic friend when I was in graduate school that in his room, he had changed the power amp at least 10 times, experiment with all sorts of cables and gadgets. He spent the money (trade-in equipments from time to time) and I did all the listening tests. The timing was perfect, that was when I am still annealable in my engineering training and what I hear gradually in my mind formed correlation to the physical world that I observed. I will talk about the danger of our eduation system next.

A lot of people go to a particular profession because of passion. But others don't and that makes huge difference and how they care about their products. I can tell you a lot of audio engineers don't listen to the products they designed. For them, it is just a job, from 9 to 5. Second, there are often criticism that today's education system is too rigid and it creates mind set from a common mold, and not many can really think outside the box. In audio, I can see that. Supposely I go to these trade shows and I cannot tell the difference these equipments make and I lost hearing in one ear, but I see big and easy bucks and still want to be in audio industry, I can still do well becasue I can apply all the "common sense", correct?

There are two types of publications: peer reviewed and non-peer reviewed. The former carries much more authority. I often treat the latter as opinions. For instance, some of the topics in the link Billy provided is just too hot to be peer reviewed. They will be striken out, not because it is right or wrong, but because there is no evidence of one way or another. Lastly, I do have a Ph.D degree and I can only earn my degree by publishing peer reviewed papers and I know how that goes. It is much easier to do a non-peer reviewed paper. You can pretty much write whatever.

Now go back to the subjects of F8. F8 is primarily for music/light HT system. Its bass sounds differently from the larger subwoofers because of "low inertia". For some it is almost feel like "light weight" because it comes and goes very fast. But frequency response wise, it does extends to below 20hz. I know a few customers can get F8 shake their room (as long as it is not large). Two months ago, I have another customer asked me about F8 on sale because he was on a film project at Austin for a few months. He is happy with F8 that shakes his smallish room and considering getting another F8 to save shipping cost on his way back to LA. So room size is an important factor. If you have a large room, not only you don't get the benefit of F8 and in fact it exposes its weakness much easier.

For Maggies, I think an F12G is a good fit, in particular if you need HPF. I had another local customer who bought all the subs he can return and borrow others, Hsu, SVS, F12, F12G and others from local stores, and he eventually goes with a pair of F12G. In his opinion, the tonality of F12G matches better with Maggies, depending on how critical your hearing is.
    Last edited by RythmikAudio; 01-04-2017 at 07:56 AM.

Thank you for your candid and sincere discussion. As I mentioned a couple pages back, I am drawn to the F8s because of the transient response. However, their crossover is lacking and I do not want to buy 'another box' to put in between my dac and my amp. Another concern of the F8s (and I will need two of them making 4 drivers) is the potential for interference. With multiple drivers, there is the concern that there will be muddying of the sound as the there will be multiple points of origin creating many more reflections. Although it should be easier to eliminate nodes this way (multiple small nodes are easier to hide that a couple of big nodes), I am concerned (as one reviewer put it) of kettle drums making a 'whoom' instead of a 'boom'.

So it seems there is a trade off:
    F8s for quicker response at the cost of losing them in a large room and losing the transients they provide by virtue of multiple drivers. I only listen to music with this setup (for now) and the maggie 3.7is are 5 feet from the back wall and 2 feet from the side walls. I would put the subs inboard of the maggies with the drivers equidistant from the listening position with the maggies.

Excellent info Brian. I totally agree about loving what you do. I love playing with audio video equipment and that's why I got into the business (sales and installation). I much rather deal with people who are passionate about their careers.

so how are people here integrating the F8 into their stereo systems? Since it does not have a crossover like its larger siblings, how do you adjust a quicker rolloff, etc? Which crossovers do you use? and where do you put them??

Quote Originally Posted by skypickle View Post
    so how are people here integrating the F8 into their stereo systems? Since it does not have a crossover like its larger siblings, how do you adjust a quicker rolloff, etc? Which crossovers do you use? and where do you put them??
    The F8 does have delay/phase knob, crossover knob and selectable LPF slope (12dB or 24dB per octave) so it's very easy to integrate on any system.

HX580_LG.jpg
    Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
    Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE (x2) + FV25HP | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 (x2) | Panasonic 820 | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony VW295ES | 92" Stewart ST100 |
    Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
    Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony 65Z9D |

Quote Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
    The F8 does have delay/phase knob, crossover knob and selectable LPF slope (12dB or 24dB per octave) so it's very easy to integrate on any system.

HX580_LG.jpg
    Thank you. But i was more interested in what the 'audiophiles' do. Obviously, they want to time align their subs, they want to roll off their mains to let the subs do the heavy lifting at the low end, they might want a sharper rolloff than 24db/octave. Or are these concerns not audible?

Please forgive the naïveté of my questions. I have never integrated a sub before and am just trying to learn.