Thread: New Sub

Default New Sub

I currently have an Elemental Designs A3-550 15" ported sub. This model is long end of life and ED has long gone I believe.

I just put in my newly purchased Ascend 340SE 5.0 speakers. I think I would like to upgrade to a Rythmik sub, especially since they are local to me.

Question I have is what would other recommend, a single ported 15 or possibly dual 12's?

I am assuming I want to look at the ported for home theater units.

Cheers
    Lee

PS I am really liking the 340's!!!!

Default Re: New Sub

Quote Originally Posted by moriartii View Post
    I currently have an Elemental Designs A3-550 15" ported sub. This model is long end of life and ED has long gone I believe.

I just put in my newly purchased Ascend 340SE 5.0 speakers. I think I would like to upgrade to a Rythmik sub, especially since they are local to me.

Question I have is what would other recommend, a single ported 15 or possibly dual 12's?

I am assuming I want to look at the ported for home theater units.

Cheers
    Lee

PS I am really liking the 340's!!!!
    Do you primarily listen to music or watch movies? What kind of music? How big is your room? Two subs, placed symmetrically can even out the frequency response. One bigger sub might be louder but only optimized for one listening position.
    Nate

Nate-
    Primarily watch movies, room is about 14'x16'x9'.

I am thinking about two 12's or maybe one 15 but am not sure. Two 12 may be a bit hard to position correctly.

Lee

I have heard that it is easier to set up 2 Subs. Maybe one of our more enlightened posters can remark on this.

Here is a nice link with info on setting up two subs. http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer...nnection-guide
    I think two 12s would probably do great in your room. The 15s have more output but that might be negated if it's difficult to place them optimally.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by moriartii View Post
    Primarily watch movies, room is about 14'x16'x9'.
    Is it a sealed room where you can close doors and it is not open to rest of house?

My room is 13x18x8 enclosed . I also have the 340 se fronts. I can only speak for the LV12r, but it does the job very nicely. It blends well enough with my fronts to make them sound full range, which was my goal. I set my gain at 10 o' clock and my Dennon sets the avr gain at -.5 db. I set my extention setting to medium. I will be getting another one this summer, which will flaten the bass response even more and give me an even more accurate sound if that is even imaginable

I am very happy with my purchase. Whatever direction you go, my advice would be to make sure that you leave yourself enough room in your budget to get 2 subs or at least upgrade to 2 subs in the future.

I can't wait to hear what you get, because if you think your 340's sound good now, wait 'till you add a nice sub to the mix

I am back!!!!

Still looking for a sub to replace that ED one posted above.

New question, which would be a recommended sub for strictly HT, the L12 of the LV12R?

Cheers
    Lee

Probably the LV12. I chose the L12 for its smaller size and my priority of music playback. It could depends on the size of your room too.

If your priority is HT and the size is not a problem, the LV12 is most likely the best fit.

From Rythmik website:

Output comparison

At 20 Hz, our subs vary in their maximum output capability. The output at 20 Hz is shown relative to F12.

F12: 0db (baseline)
    F8: -1.5db
    L12: -1db
    LV12R: +2.5db
    E15HP: + 3.5db
    L22: + 4db
    F15HP: +4db
    FVX15: +6.5db
    FV15HP: +9.5db
    F25: +8db
    Home theatre subs

For systems where home theatre is the main priority, we recommend our vented subs. At 20 Hz, a vented sub is comparable to the output of two similar sealed subs. LV12R is our lowest cost sub and is designed for smaller rooms and modest budgets. Our larger 15" subs are suited to larger rooms and have substantially more output. Don't be fooled by typical comments about vented subs lacking accuracy. These subs are tight and musical.