Thread: Your Thoughts on Room Correction/YPAO/PEQ

Default Your Thoughts on Room Correction/YPAO/PEQ

What are everyone thoughts/experiences with auto room correction? Im new to all of this stuff and recently started reading more about it and trying to learn what all of it means. Needless to say I am lost. I have a Yamaha RXA 1030 with YPAO R.S.C. room correction.

Most of my questions come on the PEQ settings. It has a Natural, Front, Flat, and Through (no eq at all). It seems like on the flat and natural PEQ it has some pretty steep gain corrections, +4.5 db on the low frequency bands, and then kind of all over the place on the others, some negative others positive. The 4.5 db boost seems a little steep. It is only this high on the right speaker, the other one was a couple of db lower on the same band.

Also, some of the Q settings are in the 1.5xx range. Not really sure how Q settings affect the sound but on some of the bands it is as low as .5 on th elower frequency bands and on up to the 1.5xx on the higher frequency bands.

I'm not sure what will give me the best/most accurate sound as I am still in the learning phase with all of this stuff.

The purist in me says to just use the through setting and not even bother with the PEQ part of it. I was also going to try and copy the PEQ settings over to the manual function and lower all of the gains to 0db. This way I can still utilize the RSC part of the correction. Yamaha allows you to tweak their settings.

I just have a 2.1 system. For fronts I have Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2's and for a sub I have a PSA XS15SE. I have them crossed over at 80hz (in my room this sounded better than 60hz crossover). As far as the subwoofer I need to do the crawl, I just got the sub last week and havent had much time with it. After that I plan on running YPAO to get the distance/delay and then manually level match it to the fronts with a calibrated SPL meter. I ahve read many run the sub +3db over the fronts, approx 78 db.

Anyone have the same speakers and any set up pointers/tips for me? Dont get me wrong, the system sounds amazing, Im just wondering if it can be even better, or if I am missing something. I know a lot of this is room dependent and speaker placement, just thinking there might be some standard/easy things I'm missing.

Anyone have any pointers or opinions on this? Im probably way over thinking stuff and need to just leave it all alone and just enjoy what I have. Not srue if the room correction stuff is even relevant on a 2.1 system.
    Last edited by diesel79; 12-30-2014 at 09:28 AM.

Default Re: Your Thoughts on Room Correction/YPAO/PEQ

I have a Denon receiver with Audyssey XT. I really wanted to use the room correction but it sounds better to me with it off. I wish I could use the room correction only for the subwoofer. I have gotten good results using REW. I've moved speakers and especially the sub many times to find the locations in my room that have the flattest response.
    Nate

Room correction, IMO, is a good thing to have, but doesn't always work for everyone.
    -curtis

It's a nice option to have. Thank goodness for the Audyssey XT32 on my AV preamp.

All the objects in your room act as a comb filter. Unless the 'purists' are listening to music in an anechoic chamber with nothing in it but a chair and speakers, the music is already being filtered/corrected by whatever objects are in the room. Sometimes room correction helps, and sometimes it's not needed.
    Last edited by bkdc; 12-30-2014 at 01:21 PM.

I've got some new furniture coming tomorrow so I will be doing some rearranging. I also ordered a boom mic stand and an adapter for the ypao mic. I will have to see if the measurements change at all and start doing some critical listening and figure out what I think sounds the best.