Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LV12 crackle, buzz and hum

Default Re: LV12 crackle, buzz and hum

We tried to start over by unplugging everything and then just connecting the sub to the receiver. The buzz, hum, crackle was there. We rerouted electrical as much as we could & still there. We purchased a Viewsonic TV coax isolator, but that didn't do much of anything. Next up - New audio cable to the sub and an isolator along that connection.

Really annoyed by this. We tried to watch Heat Friday night and I had to turn off the sub it was making so much crummy crackle noise.

We picked up a BlueJeans subwoofer cable and their isolator and no luck. My wife thinks there was a slight improvement over the original cable, but some feedback still there. I have to say, it is a very nice cable with quality (heavy) connectors. We also tried an isolator from Radio Shack. Oddly, both isolators made things worse. Does this point to anything?
    I think our next step will be to start with the electrical panel to see if we can track this down by opening and closing breakers.

Move the subwoofer to a different electrical circuit.

If you get a hum, it is probably the sub amplifier.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Move the subwoofer to a different electrical circuit.

If you get a hum, it is probably the sub amplifier.
    The snap, crackle and pop occurs only when the sub is connected to the receiver via audio cable. Since it is not the audio cable that is the problem perhaps it is the receiver itself.

2000m2, what happens if you disconnect all wired sources that are feeding the receiver, and then play something wireless, like bluetooth or radio? Any crackle on the sub then?

If there is still crackle, do you have another receiver or something that could feed an audio signal to your sub to check if there is still crackle?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    2000m2, what happens if you disconnect all wired sources that are feeding the receiver, and then play something wireless, like bluetooth or radio? Any crackle on the sub then?

If there is still crackle, do you have another receiver or something that could feed an audio signal to your sub to check if there is still crackle?

Mark
    Hi Mark & Curits - Thanks for the ideas. I ran an extension cord to plug the sub in to an outlet on the other side of the house and no change. We unplugged everything from the receiver (inputs & the other 5 speakers) except for the sub and were still getting a buzz/crackle. I don't have another receiver w/ sub output, but will see what I can do about borrowing one or something. Also, going to get back in touch with Rythmik. From a brief phone conversation with them, they were pointing towards the receiver possibly having a bad output.
    Sorry for my delayed reply. The end of the year gets really busy for me.
    Last edited by 2000m2; 01-26-2015 at 05:40 PM.

Maybe it will help someone down the road, though I'm not sure it is a solution anyone would really want to attempt.
    We ended up sending the receiver to a manufacturer approved repair center since everything was pretty much brand new. They didn't find anything.
    Rythmik sent replacement parts that I changed out. No improvement, but they provided great support.
    Ultimately, we ended up replacing our electric panel in 2016 and rewiring some of the house because we installed solar and, sure enough, the issues with the sub went away. Overall, the 5.1 set-up sounds phenomenal.
    Last edited by 2000m2; 03-25-2019 at 10:08 AM.