Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bit the bullet

Are you sure it doesn't have level adjustments? That would be strange to omit that.

On the 563 there is a place to set the speaker level to "fix" or "variable". When set to variable, you can change the levels.

-curtis

It definately does not have them. I also found out that for SACD, crossover is set at 80Hz and cannot be changed. For DVD-A, if you set the speakers to "large", the crossover is 80Hz, and if you set them to "small", crossover is 120Hz. Still doesn't explain the drastic lack of the .1 channel.

On the 563 there is a place to set the speaker level to "fix" or "variable". When set to variable, you can change the levels.

Wow....that is interesting...you can not shut off bass management?

-curtis

That does sound peculiar indeed! If you set the speakers to all large it should send full range signals to your speakers without any sort of bass management. You could then put an ICBM or similar device in the chain between DVD player and receiver to get bass management. I believe the ICBM has a gain control to compensate for a low bass levels. I have my 563 set to fixed, as Curtis said, not variable, so all channels from the 563 will be at the same output level. Have you gone through the manual completely? I had to read mine over to find the info....the menus can be confusing at first.

Oh yeah! Curtis...I am wondering what the country codes are for. The manual has a big list of them for the 563, and you can change this setting via the menu. Is this to change regions to play DVD's that are, say, region 2,3,4 etc.?
    Ed

I am absolutely positive about the channel levels and read an e-mail sent to a fellow enthusiast from Pioneer cust. service that stated the crossover frequencies in the 578. This model is different from the 563 in that respect. Also, the bass is exactly 15dB low, and an ICBM will only give 9dB boost. Setting the speakers to large on this player does not send full range signals to the speakers. I don't mind this, because it sets the crossover at 80Hz which works great for me. I do mind the LFE being so low.

WOW! I can't believe it won't let you run speakers "large" as true full range, without bass management! What if you wanted to run it through a pre-amp/receiver which has analog bass management capability? SOL, huh?

I digress....sounds like Pioneer made some radical changes from the 563a. Is the sub level deficit taken with a Rad-Shack SPL? If so, have you corrected for the meter's low freq rolloff to get a "true" reading?

Ed

Didn't use correction charts, cause I don't know what Hz I'm listening to on the music discs I have. The heartbeats on DSOTM seem quite deep, but as for what Hz they are......don't have a clue. I also can't believe that "large" doesn't send full range signals, but I saw the e-mail from Pioneer. I may get a Chesky setup disk and do some further testing, but for 149 bucks, what can you ask for? I like hi-rez recordings, but until more new releases from people I've actually heard of and want to listen to come out, I don't think I'll put more money into that part of my setup. Ordering an ICBM would get me close, but at $200 for a b-stock unit, $149 for the player, and $160 for my Zenith DVB-318, I could have bought a refurb Denon 2900. Oh, well.

Was it an "official" email bulletin from Pioneer, or an email from a Pioneer tech?

Is the manual online anywhere?

edit: I just went to Pioneer's site, the 578 is not even listed yet.

-curtis

Update: After doing some more digging, and by blasting some music through my 578 for the first time.....before I'd been listening at fairly low levels....it appears that the e-mail from Pio customer service is wrong. When set to "large", the speakers get a full range signal. When set to "small", they get crossed over at 80Hz for DVD-A and SACD. This is good news, as now an ICBM would get me close to perfect. The LFE is indeed exactly 15dB down, but like I said, the ICBM would get close enough for me. Wow, I feel better. If only my Yamaha HTR-5790 had separate adjustments for the multi-channel inputs, I'd be set without the ICBM.

Eddie, what are you using to test the channel levels?

-curtis