Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Bit the bullet

Mag-

I will try and answer your question (if I understand it correctly. The country code would be the same as the region code. According to the MPAA, none of thier member companies produce "all" or "0" region DVDs. And these member companies produce 99% of the legitimate DVD's in circulation. Also, the region coding only protects the author of the DVD to allow it to be played only in a particular 'region'. This would allow the producer to sell DVDs in the US while the movie is still in a first run theater overseas. I was told that no matter the region the product quality should remain the same.

Dave Nelms

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">ahhhh...OK....so not test tones from a DVD-A or SACD disc?

I don't think it is the player playing -15dB LFE, I think it is the lack of bass management. Have you compared the bass when speakers are set to small compared to large?

-curtis<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

This is the deja vu thread.

To repeat, the 578a passes the .1 channel to the sub regardless of the setting. If you dont have a sub, you lose this channel. For SACD's, the crossover for the bass on the 5.x channel on this unit is hardwired at 80hz. For DVD-A's bass on the 5.x channel, its 120hz with a "small" setting and 80hz for the "large" setting.

I do, however, agree with the discussions going on about its general bass output just not being adequate (ie: +15 db too low, etc.). Some are saying its just a generic problem with dvd-a's/sacds, and other players have a +15db bass boost to compensate. The frequencies are definitely there, just the output volume level could stand to be a little higher compared to other sounds formats.

Thanks for the info, Azanon. Just so I understand correctly, you are saying that there is no way to send a full range signal to the 5 main speakers with either SACD or DVD-A?

- EVH III