Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Do I have enough power?

Default Re: Do I have enough power?

Quote Originally Posted by Beave View Post
    Bah! You're too nice Dave!
    The one skill that surpasses Dave's speaker designing prowess, is his talent with PR. I think he might have been a politician in a past incarnation!

Jay

I just thought I would chime in on this amp thing with my own anecdotal evidence.

I bought two towers with RAAL last year for my home theater. I was running them off of my TX-NR906. I thought they sounded great. That receiver is supposed to be 145wpc in 8ohms. It probably does not truly put that out with all channels driven, but do to them sounding a little harsh when I turned my volume up recently (while all channels were outputting a lot of sound) I decided to buy a dedicated amp.

I bought an Emotiva XPA-2 (300wpc at 8ohms) and hooked it up. My speakers sound completely different now!! They sound way better than before. I was actually doubtful that the amp would make a difference in sound quality- I just did not want to strain my speakers with an under powered amp in loud movie scenes.

I do not know if it is the power difference or the amp quality, but it made a huge difference in my system to buy a powerful dedicated amp.

I can't wait to watch "Planet of the Apes" tomorrow after my Sierra Horizon and CBM-170se 's arrive!!
    Last edited by Joechoes; 01-01-2015 at 06:31 AM.

Hey, one of my sons and I welcomed in the new year watching the same movie (Dawn of the Planet of the Apes) on bluray, which arrived in the mail just yesterday with a couple of CDs from amazon. I was just gawking at the graphics, the faces of the apes were so convincing. Can't comment much on the sound though, it was through TV speakers and low volume so as not to wake the others in the house hehe.

That's very good news that your investment in dedicated amps paid off! Out of curiousity, can you also tell the difference between your receiver's amps and your Emotiva amps listening to just two channel music at moderate volume levels?

Mark

See my post in the other thread for a reply.

Quote Originally Posted by petmotel View Post
    The one skill that surpasses Dave's speaker designing prowess, is his talent with PR. I think he might have been a politician in a past incarnation!

Jay
    I suspect from what forum reading I have done that Dave profoundly lacks the ever-important mastery of dishonesty and fluffy marketing skills necessary to be a politician.

Quote Originally Posted by Sivar View Post
    I suspect from what forum reading I have done that Dave profoundly lacks the ever-important mastery of dishonesty and fluffy marketing skills necessary to be a politician.
    Lol! For those who know me well, this is absolutely the truth.

Most who visit our office for a demo or pickup are often shocked to see me in the warehouse with tools in hand helping assemble our products. Dina now runs the day to day operations (often telling me what needs to get done) as I also do not enjoy being anyone's "boss"...

Our success is living proof to the old adage that a good product sells itself, and I'm truly thankful for that as there is simply no room in our expenses for marketing and I wouldn't even know how to begin.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com