Thread: What will improve my SQ?

Default What will improve my SQ?

Below is my current system. 10%HT, 90% Music. I heard some Martin Logan and B&W speakers recently at the local audio store and unfortunately for my bank account I have seen/heard what is possible. From all the online lurking I have been doing, getting better speakers seems to be the option for most immediate/noticeable improvement in SQ. ALso from my research it seems the Ascend towers and monitors are head and shoulders above anything else in their price range (including Martin Logan and B&W). I really like my MB Quarts but I keep wondering how much better I could get within my budget. I thought about better amplification but the consensus seems to be that speakers would be much more of an improvement per dollar spent. Here are my questions: How much better are the Sierra Towers than my MB Quarts (lets say the NrT tweeter version)? Given that I have a sub, what if I went wit the Sierra 2s rather than the towers? Big improvement over the Quarts? Thanks in advance for your help.

Denon 3806
    Fronts-MB Quart QLS 830
    Center- phantom
    Rear- Boston Acoustics HD8- purchased in 1994, re-foamed
    2014, sound fantastic for their size.
    DIY Subwoofer- sealed 12 inch downfiring powered by Behringer Inuke 1000
    Sony SACD player, $20 off ebay.
    PS3

Default Re: What will improve my SQ?

I haven't heard any of the speakers in your setup. If you aren't happy with it, you can upgrade, but note that demos in a stereo shop that sell expensive equipment are often not a great indicator of how something new will sound in your room. Sometimes, room treatments are a better use of money. Additionally, science tells us that humans have poor auditory memory (even when we think we do not), so demos may have sounded better merely because you expected them to sound better, much like wines are often rated higher when they are more expensive.

With that out of the way, there certainly are superior wines and superior speakers.

Like you, my long bout of research pointed me to Ascend.

As for "How much better are the Sierra Towers than my MB Quarts (lets say the NrT tweeter version)?": Would that there was a single metric for determining which speaker is better than another.

Sierra Towers would certainly be louder (or stress your receiver less at the same volume) due to their better efficiency than the MB Quarts (87dB,unspecified vs 92dB,in-room). I suspect the Sierras are better designed and built and use higher quality parts -- certainly a higher quality chassis, but whether you enjoy them enough to justify the cost -- all you can do is audition them in the same room and see.

You may find my Sierra 2 review useful: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...ew-as-I-can-do