Thread: Crossing towers to sub

Default Crossing towers to sub

Just wondering if there is a general take on how the Ascend towers should be crossed over to a sub(s). I understand it can be user specific and should be experimented with but I'd like some input for the sake of additional equipment I'm considering (pre-amp with full bass management). The sub can obviously be crossed with its on board controls but can the towers be left to run full range and overlap or should they be crossed as well via a preamp (or receiver)? My preamp is currently built in to my DAC and doesn't have bass management, I would have to add another stand alone preamp that has bass managment if I need to limit the towers from running full range.

Default Re: Crossing towers to sub

It depends on your room and your seating position. Your sound system is just that: a system. The speakers do not work independently of the room and your position within the room relative to the positions of the speakers.

The key is to take care of your deep bass first - get that to be uniform throughout your listening area and you can then easily adjust it with just a few bands of EQ to make it linear and accurate. Once that is achieved, you have the freedom to cross over your speakers at almost any frequency you like. We tend to prefer keeping that to 80Hz or lower so that the bass never becomes directional from the subwoofers. But depending on your room and your seating positions, it might be necessary to cross the speakers to the subwoofers at a higher frequency.

You can use the miniDSP to add a cross over and equalization to any system so long as you are using separate amplification: http://www.minidsp.com/products/mini...ox/minidsp-2x4