Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sierra 2 box opening and setup

Wink Sierra 2 box opening and setup

I appreciate Ascend's assiduousness and thought I'd share just how seriously they take their products in seven photographs for those considering a purchase.

It starts with packaging. Box-within-box includes custom-molded stiff foam supports around the speakers. The foam is a soft, open-cell variety -- not the cheap expanded polystyrene stuff that can build a static charge and leave little white bits all over the room and product.

In addition to feet, notice the adhesive logos are optional. I'm not sure who wouldn't be proud to show their researching prowess by advertising the brand of their new speakers, but it is nice that we are given the choice.
    Cotton gloves are included, which are a nice touch and help eliminate fingerprint & hand oil contamination.
    Unfortunately (fortunately if you don't use the feet), the proper foot locations are unmarked, so you must make your own measurements when determining where to apply them.

Each speaker is individually tested and matched within 1dB with a personal sign-off.

That signature isn't a photocopy. This letter was hand-signed by the president of the company (and designer of the speakers!). The pen's indentations are clearly visible on the paper when looked at from an angle.

Each speaker can be lifted out of the packaging using only the soft cloth bag ensconcing it, and can be placed upon that bag to protect its finish prior to application of the adhesive feet.

The tweeter appears to be mounted in vibration-deadening (I assume) cork. Click here to see a closeup of the probable cork. Much higher resolution available photos in the Imgur album.

Ascend Sierra 2 beside the outgoing Klipsch KSB 3.1.
    While the klipsch is a few dB more efficient (0-3 in practice, 7+ by specs) and much larger, the Sierra 2 produces very obviously superior audio detail and is often superior in bass response despite the much smaller woofer.

Anybody can cheaply shower their new purchase with compliments to make themselves feel good, but my genuine impression is that abstemious component selection combined with the designer's genuine love for music form the perfect balance of engineering and art.

I've posted results of my detailed listening tests in the Verified User Reviews forum which will be visible once approved.
    Its acerbic tone may be slightly off-putting but was meant to emphasize how hard I tried to avoid the insubstantial fluff so often associated with speaker reviews both amateur and professional.
    Last edited by Sivar; 10-30-2014 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Added mention of photo album.

Default Re: Sierra 2 box opening and setup

Would love to see more pics of these black stain bamboo S2... They look great

Great stuff, Sivar.

Although I think Dave has put his kids to work signing those letters.
    -curtis

Unboxing photos . I just unboxed a set not too long ago, and the experiences are not to different, the same care and attention to detail for everyone.

Wondering where the prismatic light is coming from in your photos?

Still a real signature, at least.

Wondering where the prismatic light is coming from in your photos?
    My front door and the surrounding area has a bunch of stained glass that leads to weird colors at certain times of the day.

Would love to see more pics of these black stain bamboo S2... They look great
    High-res photos can be found HERE.

I thought this might be a quick, fun project but I ended up spending over an hour taking snapshots since I am a terrible photographer but picky about how pictures look. I don't care much about the finish (though I love the natural bamboo look) but I agree that the "black bamboo" is nice. It's obvious in-person that it isn't a cheapo laminate.
    The lighting in my "home theater room" (just a re-purposed, open living room) has comically bad lighting, so I took all the shots in the back yard where, for a while, I had natural light.

Here's a sample photo:
    Last edited by Sivar; 10-29-2014 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sivar View Post
    Perhaps the mustard bottle is an unconscious tip of the hat to okwchin's lovely new yellow S2's? That, and an unconscious message that finally you have speakers that pass mustard ?

Also enjoyed your review Sivar, thanks.

First owner's pics of the cabinets I've seen showing the larger rear port and relief cut around the baffle. Nice!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Nice pictures. Especially love the backyard shot - what a view!

I notice that the grille mounting is also a difference between the US and intl cabinets. The Intl cabinets (mine) has a rubber bung that sits proud of the face of the cabinet, while yours looks like a plastic insert that sits flush.

Also, what torch did you use. It looks like a smooth LED torch to me… (yet another hobby!)
    Last edited by okwchin; 10-30-2014 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Great stuff, Sivar.

Hey now -- I'm not even sure my kids can write cursive
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sivar View Post
    Still a real signature, at least.

My front door and the surrounding area has a bunch of stained glass that leads to weird colors at certain times of the day.

I thought this might be a quick, fun project but I ended up spending over an hour taking snapshots since I am a terrible photographer but picky about how pictures look. I don't care much about the finish (though I love the natural bamboo look) but I agree that the "black bamboo" is nice. It's obvious in-person that it isn't a cheapo laminate.
    The lighting in my "home theater room" (just a re-purposed, open living room) has comically bad lighting, so I took all the shots in the back yard where, for a while, I had natural light.

Here's a sample photo:
    Love the hires photo's -- but seeing that mustard bottle on top made me miss okwchin's high gloss yellow pair. The US built cabinets do have slightly different cosmetics to them so that they perfectly match the towers.

We are actually building up photo samples of the US cabinets and I hope to have pics of these on the website within 1-2 weeks.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com