Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mixing Sierra-1 LR with HTM-200SE Center

Question Mixing Sierra-1 LR with HTM-200SE Center

I've been easing my way up in my home theater / listening room, and currently have five HTM-200SEs with a Rythmik LV12R.

For movies, this is a stunning setup and I have no complaints. These little speakers are really special (amazing design work, Dave!).

For music? It seems I'm never satisfied, and I feel like I want to keep climbing the ladder. I rather skip over the 170 and 340 and jump to a Sierra-1 pair.

So here's the $500 question: is it really a big deal to wait on a Sierra-1 center? If I mix a Sierra-1 LR pair with a HTM-200SE center, will it ruin my movie watching?

Yes, I know. The center channel gets the most material, so on and so forth. But here's my thinking:

• I'm talking stock Sierra-1, not NRT-upgraded, not a ribbon-based Sierra-2.
    • A quick search tells me that many folks use HTM-200SE as surrounds with Sierra LCR and it works well, so that's a good start.
    • I use Audyssey XT32, and expect that it can help this situation.

Also note...I'd get one eventually. It's just easier for me to do my upgrades piecemeal.

Default Re: Mixing Sierra-1 LR with HTM-200SE Center

No law against it but I'm guessing a phantom center would sound better. That is, no center. I guess you could try the 200 as center with no cost until you get the sierra center. I would experiment but others may know better.
    Last edited by donaldekelly; 10-21-2014 at 07:16 PM.

Well, it certainly is easy enough to just shut it off if it does end up sounding better that way.

I was just curious if anyone has tried this, or has insight into expected results.

Sorry. I misunderstood.

If someone with more knowledge doesn't chime in I will hook up a 170 as center between my 1s and give you my opinion. That might be close enough.

You're probably better off with someone else's ears doing the listening, though.
    Last edited by donaldekelly; 10-21-2014 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Memory lapse

Too kind of you to offer! I certainly appreciate any impressions, though please don't trouble yourself if rewiring is a hassle.

Also, I see no reason to distrust your ears -- you thought enough of them to treat them to Sierra-1s, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by kdaq View Post
    So here's the $500 question: is it really a big deal to wait on a Sierra-1 center? If I mix a Sierra-1 LR pair with a HTM-200SE center, will it ruin my movie watching?

Yes, I know. The center channel gets the most material, so on and so forth. But here's my thinking:

• I'm talking stock Sierra-1, not NRT-upgraded, not a ribbon-based Sierra-2.
    • A quick search tells me that many folks use HTM-200SE as surrounds with Sierra LCR and it works well, so that's a good start.
    • I use Audyssey XT32, and expect that it can help this situation.

Also note...I'd get one eventually. It's just easier for me to do my upgrades piecemeal.
    Because I have a buddy with S1's and 200's as surrounds, I would have to tell you with some certainty that NO it will not ruin your movie experience. And it will certainly benefit your 2 channel music listening experience. I would say that for movies, you will not notice a ton of difference from what you have now. Because the center is reponsible for almost all of the dialogue. Before I bought my Ascends I listened to his setup critically, and had him play both his S1's and 200's as mains to give me an idea what the benefit of the Sierra's was. And the timbre was not that different, but the mids and lower frequencies were more ...pronouced (not the best word, but can't think of a better descriptive word) and the sound stage was much bigger. Since you use a sub and probably cross at 100 or 80 anyway, it should not be a big deal. I am not saying for movies that S1's is not a big upgrade over the 200's, but am saying thaat the tibre differences will not be a big deal.

But for 2ch music, in my option, it is a nice upgrade that you will notice!. Heck even if you like multi-channel music you will notice as more sounds comes from the FR and FL than it does with movies in a 5.x system.

Point being, if there is any noticable timbre mismatch for movies that Audyssey cannot tame, it will be negligible compared to the improvement you should hear in 2 channel music.

Get the S1 center when funds allow

But don't say you have not been warned, once you have the S1's, you will be wondering what all the buzz is about with the S2's

All IMHO
    Last edited by mde8965; 10-24-2014 at 11:06 AM.

Excellent impressions, thank you. I love the HTM-200, but what I'm missing for music (in my 20 x 10 x 8 room) is exactly what you mentioned -- some mid-lows and more presence.

As for the S2 -- oh yeah, I fully expect I'll cave eventually. Nothing against trying different brands, but from my experience in the headphone world I want to climb the ladder with neutral stuff, so where better than Ascend?

Let's just say I wouldn't be shocked if I progressed something like this, with months or years between hops:

1. Sierra-1 for LR
    2. Sierra-1 for C
    3. Second sub
    4. Sierra-2 upgrade LCR
    5. Sierra towers for LR, move Sierra-2 to surround or dedicated listening room
    6. Sierra Horizon for C, sell Sierra-2 C

Of course by the time I have the coin, maybe they'll be more Sierra successors?

That is what I am thinking too. Maybe woofer, crossover and tweeter to turn the S1s into S3s!

Dave - how long till the S3 upgrade is ready to ship? The one that makes bad recordings sound great and gives you 30 different flavors of soda and frozen yogurt in the same size enclosure!

As for the S2 -- oh yeah, I fully expect I'll cave eventually. Nothing against trying different brands, but from my experience in the headphone world I want to climb the ladder with neutral stuff, so where better than Ascend?

Let's just say I wouldn't be shocked if I progressed something like this, with months or years between hops:

1. Sierra-1 for LR
    2. Sierra-1 for C
    3. Second sub
    4. Sierra-2 upgrade LCR
    5. Sierra towers for LR, move Sierra-2 to surround or dedicated listening room
    6. Sierra Horizon for C, sell Sierra-2 C

So you get me. I originally was merely curious about Ascend because of my buddy. So was thinking I might replace some aging Paradigm speakers with S1's or something. Well by the time it was said and done, I now have:
    Sierra Towers with RAAL - FR & FL
    Sierra 2's - Surrounds
    Horizon Center with RAAL

in my 7.2 system...

So much for minor upgrades...

Quote Originally Posted by mde8965 View Post
    So you get me. I originally was merely curious about Ascend because of my buddy. So was thinking I might replace some aging Paradigm speakers with S1's or something. Well by the time it was said and done, I now have:
    Sierra Towers with RAAL - FR & FL
    Sierra 2's - Surrounds
    Horizon Center with RAAL

in my 7.2 system...

So much for minor upgrades...
    Nice setup!

I did something similar money-wise in the headphone world, starting with my eyes on a Grado SR-60. Now have HF-1, MS-2i, HF-2, similar stuff from Sennheiser, Etymotics, Shure, Denon. It was more about trying different stuff there. In the speaker world it makes more sense to upgrade a single system, and I look forward to climbing the ladder.