Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Horizon vs Sierra-2 Center

Default Re: Horizon vs Sierra-2 Center

Quote Originally Posted by 2000m2 View Post
    It'll be a few weeks before I get the Horizon center (looking like after Thanksgiving). They are back ordered.

I have the Satin Dark Cherry color. I've learned that the cabinet makers for the Sierra-2's (Asia) and the Towers & Horizon (California) are different. This means Satin Dark Cherry is a bit different between the two cabinet makers, not sure about other colors. If you want things to match, better to do it on the front end. You can get the Sierra-2's to match the Towers & Horizon, but you need to specify that is what you want.
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but I was wondering if you finally did upgrade to the Horizon center and your before/after impressions.

I'm considering the same upgrade from Sierra 2 center to a Horizon because I'm mostly home theater, and I've been advised that the best center channel possible is the way to go, and the Horizon looks like the ultimate Center channel. What gives me pause is that I'd lose the timbre matching inherent with my current Sierra 2 L/C/R setup due to the different woofer and driver complement.

My Horizon was delivered today - the cabinet itself is just beautiful. I really like the California made cabinets, very impressive. It is massive compared to the Sierra-2's. The dimensions on a website are one thing, while setting it up is another to really appreciate the volume (size) of this beast. Mounting it to a wall would be challenging... really challenging. I didn't want to set my expectations too high and was slightly expecting to not notice a big difference. I was wrong. In just watching some TV, there was a very noticeable difference in how much clearer dialogue sounds. I'm playing some music now through all five channels to get some time on it and it's just fabulous. These speakers not only sound amazing, but look great too. I really dig that Satin Dark Cherry. I will run Audyessy this weekend to get everything set-up properly and so far, so good!
    Wish I could give you a more technical review, but I'm still learning.

Since the Horizon is more efficient than the Sierra-2, it probably is playing a little louder. That could be a factor in the better sound along with better sound. Could you try to match levels and then compare the two for us? I'm curious if it's still that dramatic of an improvement.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    Since the Horizon is more efficient than the Sierra-2, it probably is playing a little louder. That could be a factor in the better sound along with better sound. Could you try to match levels and then compare the two for us? I'm curious if it's still that dramatic of an improvement.
    I agree with Nate...make sure the Horizon is level matched. If you didn't, then it is definitely playing louder than the Sierra-2's.
    Last edited by curtis; 01-26-2015 at 10:45 PM.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I agree with Nate...make sure the Horizon is level matched. If you didn't, then it is definitely playing louder than the Sierra-2's.
    Is this something that will correct with running Audyssey?

Yes. Any auto setup/"room eq" software should be able to do this just fine.

Can you check your levels before and after? It's likely that Audyssey will adjust the Horizon down to -2 or -3 relative to the front left and right speakers. If you prefer the Horizon to be a little louder, than there is nothing wrong with boosting it back up a little after Audyssey is run.
    Nate

Do we have pics of the Sierra-2 Center?

Quote Originally Posted by Roen View Post
    Do we have pics of the Sierra-2 Center?
    It's a standard Sierra-2 on its side, tweeter rotated 90 degrees, with a full length grille.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    It's a standard Sierra-2 on its side, tweeter rotated 90 degrees, with a full length grille.
    Is there any argument to use a vertically oriented S2 based on these results?

http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeak...valuation.html