Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Horizon vs Sierra-2 Center

Default Re: Horizon vs Sierra-2 Center

Quote Originally Posted by Roen View Post
    Is there any argument to use a vertically oriented S2 based on these results?

http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeak...valuation.html
    If you can do a standard Sierra-2, then do it. A Sierra-2 on its side has no performance advantage, just aesthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    If you can do a standard Sierra-2, then do it. A Sierra-2 on its side has no performance advantage, just aesthetics.
    I think 3 vertical S2's are how I'll be arranging the speakers.

So my issue now is that I cannot maintain the same vertical tweeter height across all 3. Even horizontal S2 would not solve my problem.

I have my S2's on 30" stands, and the tweeter is higher than the bottom of the TV.

How bad would it be to raise the S2 Center as high as possible, and tilt it so that it aims on a straight line to my ears?

Is there any other way of orienting the speakers that you would do?
    Last edited by Roen; 07-13-2017 at 11:54 AM.

Rake angle.

I had three vertical S2's across the front also. The center's tweeter was a good foot to foot and a half below the L & R's. Didn't matter as I had it angled up so that a straight line, projected out from center of the ribbon, converged on the same spot as the L & R's at the MLP.

Seamlessness across the front three was perfect.

I made my own stand pretty simply, but you can buy isolation pads that are angled, or even just use door stoppers.

Quote Originally Posted by mose harper View Post
    rake angle.

I had three vertical s2's across the front also. The center's tweeter was a good foot to foot and a half below the l & r's. Didn't matter as i had it angled up so that a straight line, projected out from center of the ribbon, converged on the same spot as the l & r's at the mlp.

Seamlessness across the front three was perfect.

I made my own stand pretty simply, but you can buy isolation pads that are angled, or even just use door stoppers.
    schweeet.

Should I raise the speaker at all or just point it up?

And lastly, definition of MLP?
    Last edited by Roen; 07-14-2017 at 01:29 PM.

I think 3 vertical S2's are how I'll be arranging the speakers.

So my issue now is that I cannot maintain the same vertical tweeter height across all 3. Even horizontal S2 would not solve my problem.

I have my S2's on 30" stands, and the tweeter is higher than the bottom of the TV.

How bad would it be to raise the S2 Center as high as possible, and tilt it so that it aims on a straight line to my ears?

Is there any other way of orienting the speakers that you would do?
    3 vertical S2's is a terrific option, offering a bit more symmetrical horizontal dispersion than a horizontally configured S2. It is absolutely OK if the tweeters are not all at the same height. How far back are you sitting from the center and at what vertical height will the center be placed?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Left and Right are measured at 8.6 ft by YPAO. Center should be Similar distance. Center will be 5 3/4" lower than L and R, so will need a tilt to compensate. L and R are currently on 30" stands.

This the route I'd go if I end up going with Sierra 2's in the future. 3 Sierra 2's vertical. I have 3 bookshelf speakers now as LCR, actually I have bookshelf or studio monitors now for all 5 channels. I love it. A great bookshelf and a great sub are as good if not better than towers in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by JC1 View Post
    This the route I'd go if I end up going with Sierra 2's in the future. 3 Sierra 2's vertical. I have 3 bookshelf speakers now as LCR, actually I have bookshelf or studio monitors now for all 5 channels. I love it. A great bookshelf and a great sub are as good if not better than towers in my opinion.

Works very nicely.

Using IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R 155 to tilt.
    Last edited by Roen; 08-21-2017 at 01:41 PM.

Works very nicely.

Using IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R 155 to tilt.
    Wow how sick does that sound? What are you using for surrounds? I was actually thinking of going with 5 Luna's and adding a second sub. Think I could get away with that?

None yet, will probably go two Luna's.

Will need to change out the Atmos upfiring from AFX to R50.

Sounds seamless, definitely nicer than horizontal centers.

I think Luna's with two subs should be fine, as long as you have a sub that can fill in the bass range well between the Sierra-2 cutoff and the Luna cutoff, in addition to the bass range below the Sierra-2 cutoff.