Thread: Surrounds on top of subwoofer

Question Surrounds on top of subwoofer

I have speaker mounts for surrounds, but it would be nice to not drill holes in the wall if I don't need to.
    Is there a problem setting surrounds directly on top of subwoofers? Magnetic interference? Reflection from the subwoofer?
    Subwoofers are located equidistant from the center sitting position at the rear corners of the room and are about 34" in height.

Default Re: Surrounds on top of subwoofer

No real problem if the front of the speaker is not behind the front of the sub (which would create an early reflection).

The only issue is for HT, they surrounds would not be high enough. They should be 2-3' above ear height when seated.
    -curtis

Assuming your sub is also firmly standing on a hard surface, meaning feet to a hard floor, or spikes through carpet.

Feet on carpet would allow the sub to rock forwards and backwards, and a speaker placed on top of this could be subjected to a decent amount of movement.

I only recently learned of the recommendation to mount surrounds above ear level. Hopefully my stands can handle the job -- they are more than capable of holding the speakers, but I am not sure if they can hold them angled significantly downward without using the screw holes on the side.
    Drilling into a Sierra chassis feels sacrilegious.
    Er... Now that I look, neither the Dolby nor THX speakre setup guides bother to mention whether surrounds should be angled downwards, towards listening position, or stay parallel with with ground. A quick Google search resulted in recommendations for both and everything in-between.
    What does this forum recommend?
    Last edited by Sivar; 10-22-2014 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Added question about surround orientation

Quote Originally Posted by Sivar View Post
    I only recently learned of the recommendation to mount surrounds above ear level. Hopefully my stands can handle the job -- they are more than capable of holding the speakers, but I am not sure if they can hold them angled significantly downward without using the screw holes on the side.
    Drilling into a Sierra chassis feels sacrilegious.
    Er... Now that I look, neither the Dolby nor THX speakre setup guides bother to mention whether surrounds should be angled downwards, towards listening position, or stay parallel with with ground. A quick Google search resulted in recommendations for both and everything in-between.
    What does this forum recommend?
    The Sierra-2's have a narrower listening window than those with dome tweeters. A slight angle would definitely help. I wonder if having the speakers upside down would be good.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    The Sierra-2's have a narrower listening window than those with dome tweeters. A slight angle would definitely help. I wonder if having the speakers upside down would be good.
    While I think the vertical window is narrower, it isn't drastic. The horizontal window is actually wider with the RAAL than the NrT.

Mounting the speaker upside down would the tweeter closer to ear height, if that is needed, and, if close to the ceiling, more bass reinforcement.

It is all a matter a taste...and that goes with angling the speaker too....no right or wrong.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    It is all a matter a taste...and that goes with angling the speaker too....no right or wrong.
    Darn. I was hoping the angle thing was one where there is an accepted answer. :/ I'll have to experiment now that the Sierra 2's have arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Sivar View Post
    Darn. I was hoping the angle thing was one where there is an accepted answer. :/ I'll have to experiment now that the Sierra 2's have arrived.
    Congrats Sivar!