Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sierra 2 Reviews

Default Re: Sierra 2 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by mcatucci View Post
    bkdc -I've been wanting to try one of those 2L titles for a while now. Looks like I'll grab the disc versus the downloads to be safe.

Mike
    A lot of their recordings are a little too avante-garde even for neo-classical fans. So stick with stuff you like on the demo clips. One of my favorite more mainstream multi-channel recordings on Blu-Ray audio is Sara K. - Made In The Shade from Stockfisch records. I play it all the time to demo my system for friends. I'm a walking advertisement for Ascend Acoustics.

I may be stuck with the HDTracks downloads. I'm looking for 2 channel only and the stuff available on disk appears to all be multi. Do they offer 2 channel layer on the disk as well?

I may be stuck with the HDTracks downloads. I'm looking for 2 channel only and the stuff available on disk appears to all be multi. Do they offer 2 channel layer on the disk as well?
    The recordings usually come in hybrid SACD (in which there is a red-disc 2-channel recording for normal CD players in addition to the multi-channel recording in the second layer) or in Blu-ray Audio. The BD Audio disc has a 2-channel PCM option so if you get a BD Audio disc, your blu-ray player will be able to output the audio in 2-channel stereo. However, where the 2L masterings shine is in the multi-channel recordings. The multi-channel experience is amazing. Some multi-channel SACD discs have given me a great experience (typically choral works recorded on the Chandos label which make me feel like I'm inside a spacious church) but 2L multi-channel takes the prize. I'm definitely NOT a fan of SACD or stereo remasters of old 1960's or 1970's or even 1980's recordings. It just does not sound like audiophile material as the Ascend speakers are revealing of the short-comings of old recorded material no matter how well it is remastered.

I'm a firm believer that there is no significant additional benefit of listening to a hi-rez 2-channel recording over the same 2-channel recording downsampled to 16-bit/44.1kHz of a redbook CD. As long as the mastering was done at a high level, the standard CD itself will be indistinguishable to 99+% of ears from the same mastering played at 24-bit/192kHz. To me, the benefit of hi-res recordings is that effort was made in creating a pristine-sounding master and that some of the recordings are mastered primarily for multi-channel listening rather than as an afterthought to reissue old recordings in a remastered SACD. I haven't encountered a situation in which my Pre-amp's sound processor (taking 2-channel info and outputting multi-channel) lead to a superior experience over 5-channel SACD, so when the multi-channel mastering is done well, it's a magical experience.
    Last edited by bkdc; 02-12-2015 at 01:26 PM.

UPDATE!! It seems to be doing it more with my vinyl collection! Listening to Moondance by Van Morrison and it is compartmentalizing the sound. It still sounds very good but I am definitely able to pinpoint the sound more so than with the digital files. I listened to both Fourplay and Acoustic Alchemy and both sounded incredible, as did Adele 21. I posted the pictures below, but really with the vinyl I am noticing it in both speakers now. Vocals are dead center, but some instruments are boxed into the speakers.

I am going to assume these speakers do not like something in my analog chain. The turntable, cartridge, arm, phonostage maybe? ...fortunately I have another phono stage inbound and can swap that out in the hopes the new one plays better with the 2's.

I'm going to assume I am the first person that has had this issue, it is the story of my life

Here is a pic of the offending speaker and its placement.

S211.jpg
    Last edited by mcatucci; 02-12-2015 at 04:52 PM.

another shot of both

S222.jpg

S233.jpg

How far off the wall are those, they look really close.
    Do you have plugs in them?

Quote Originally Posted by muzz View Post
    How far off the wall are those, they look really close.
    Do you have plugs in them?
    No plugs. I read (or thought I did) where Dave does not recommend plugs for the 2's. I also thought he said the 2's can be placed closer to a wall without issues. They are about 7 inches from the wall.

I know that he said no for the towers because of too much pressure(or something like that), but I wasn't aware of the 2's.
    I remember something about using the plug with the hole in it, not the fully shut plug.
    I'm sure someone that knows for certain will step in and sort that out.

I was off work today and decided to stay home most of the day and listen to music. It was worth it. I have learned that the Sierra 2's are all about the source. It's not my gear, not my analog chain, it is plain and simple: its the recording. I had "moments" today with both Dire Straits recent 2 LP release of "On Every Street" ("Planet of the New Orleans" should be the defacto demo song for the 2's Dave -trust me) and the 2 LP release of Pink Floyd's Division Bell. Any concerns I had that there was something wrong with the speakers is gone and I actually feel foolish for not waiting longer before posting. I now know what you mean by "once you hear the 2's you cannot go back to other speakers"

Please ignore/forgive my other posts Dave. I panicked too soon and now get it. What an incredible effort and worth every penny and more!

No plugs. I read (or thought I did) where Dave does not recommend plugs for the 2's. I also thought he said the 2's can be placed closer to a wall without issues. They are about 7 inches from the wall.
    I think Dave said that plugs would generally not be needed with the 2s. I've tried the plugs in mine and I get a flatter response and better integration with my sub using them. I used REW to measure the response.
    Nate