Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sierra 2 Reviews

Default Re: Sierra 2 Reviews

Thought I'd just add a quick post here.

If I ever had a single doubt about spending the cash to upgrade my Sierra's to the -2's(Which I NEVER had, by the way), they would have been completely wiped out last night.

A fellow forum member and Sierra-1 owner was having a tough time deciding whether to do the upgrade. I offered to bring my upgraded -2's to his house so he could listen in his own system, next to his -1's. Needless to say, the difference was literally night and day. To confirm his reaction he had his wife come down and listen. Her first reaction was "WOW!". Once we hooked up his -1's for comparison, her reaction was "OMG!". She said it was like someone had put dirt in the speakers because they were nowhere as clear. Now, the -1's are no slouch by any stretch of the word, just next to the -2's they fall short.

Ok, that's all for now!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Interesting comparison. Any point in doing the $400 upgrade when the $800 RAAL upgrade is so much better? Kind of breaks the law of diminishing returns (as Rob mentions in his video).
    Last edited by donaldekelly; 10-10-2014 at 04:31 PM.

I want to thank Ed for bringing his 2's over! WOW was my reaction, and that was the first time I ever heard my wife make such a positive reaction to speakers before.
    Ed wasn't off my street and I was on the phone placing my order for the upgrades!
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by donaldekelly View Post
    Interesting comparison. Any point in doing the $400 upgrade when the $800 RAAL upgrade is so much better? Kind of breaks the law of diminishing returns.
    I don't think so. I'd go straight to the '2'.
    Nate

I upgraded from the original Sierra-1 to the 2s with RAAL. My first "shocking moment" came when I was filing CDs underneath one speaker (they are on top of my entertainment units) and the clarity was better than in the "perfect spot" I had for the Ones, back on my couch. The whole room is perfect now, or close enough to not matter.

I guess if one only thinks one will have $400 to put toward the upgrade - the cheaper upgrade makes sense and does in fact sound better - treble is nicely sharper and all the things folks have said. If one thinks on can budget almost $800 eventually the NRT upgrade doesn't make sense.

I don't even have my Sierra 1s yet and I am trying to figure out the path to upgrade!

Quote Originally Posted by pegleg View Post
    I upgraded from the original Sierra-1 to the 2s with RAAL. ... The whole room is perfect now, or close enough to not matter.

Do you have any acoustic treatments? Have you considered it? Just wondering. Good speakers can make acoustic treatment not as necessary I have read. But treatment still does wonders - when it is practicable.

Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post
    I want to thank Ed for bringing his 2's over! WOW was my reaction, and that was the first time I ever heard my wife make such a positive reaction to speakers before.
    Ed wasn't off my street and I was on the phone placing my order for the upgrades!
    It was my pleasure, Jeff! Great to see you again after about 8 years......LOL!

I was actually surprised how big a difference there really was. I guess at roughly 2X the cost of the -1's there should be a big difference.

Now, should I have you come over to calibrate my TV
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

If someone is considering bookshelf speakers as a stereo pair and price is a concern, personally, I feel that starting with the standard Sierra-1 and then eventually upgrading to the Sierra-2 is the best possible route to take.

Where the Sierra-1 NrT makes the most sense is when it is being used as Surround speakers for a system with the standard Sierra Towers and standard Sierra Horizon. Having the identical NrT tweeter in all 5 speakers is a treat!

Of course, if you have Towers RAAL and Horizon RAAL, then the Sierra-2 become the best choice for Surround speakers.

That is strictly my personal take, but I do sort of see the Sierra-1 NrT as being a little bit of the "odd man out" when the intent is to use them strictly as a stereo pair. They're fantastic speakers, but if you were to purchase Sierra-1 NrT right away and then eventually upgrade them to Sierra-2, you would end up spending more money in total than if you started with the standard Sierra-1 and then eventually upgraded to the Sierra-2.

Of course, if you have no intention of ever upgrading, then the Sierra-1 NrT makes a lot of sense if they max out your budget

Quote Originally Posted by FirstReflect View Post
    If someone is considering bookshelf speakers as a stereo pair and price is a concern, personally, I feel that starting with the standard Sierra-1 and then eventually upgrading to the Sierra-2 is the best possible route to take.

Where the Sierra-1 NrT makes the most sense is when it is being used as Surround speakers for a system with the standard Sierra Towers and standard Sierra Horizon. Having the identical NrT tweeter in all 5 speakers is a treat!

Of course, if you have Towers RAAL and Horizon RAAL, then the Sierra-2 become the best choice for Surround speakers.

That is strictly my personal take, but I do sort of see the Sierra-1 NrT as being a little bit of the "odd man out" when the intent is to use them strictly as a stereo pair. They're fantastic speakers, but if you were to purchase Sierra-1 NrT right away and then eventually upgrade them to Sierra-2, you would end up spending more money in total than if you started with the standard Sierra-1 and then eventually upgraded to the Sierra-2.

Of course, if you have no intention of ever upgrading, then the Sierra-1 NrT makes a lot of sense if they max out your budget

My Vote $FOR$ is the Stock Sierra1 for Bookshelfs. I think the price performance is unbeatable. In my book I would only buy the Sierra2 if you could not fit in a Sierra Tower with RAAL in my room. Towers with RAAL are awesome for sure ($$$$).

Sierra2 With RAAL as Surrounds ( Hmmmm not unless money is no object ) or I suppose if you listen to Multi Channel High quality audio ( AND you have more money than you can spend). I cant even tax the Sierra1 as my surrounds so seriously Sierra2 while great are overkill for surrounds.