Thread: CBM-170SE vs HTM-200SE for surrounds w/340's L,R,C

Default CBM-170SE vs HTM-200SE for surrounds w/340's L,R,C

I just purchased the CMT-340SE L,R,C speakers. I was wanting to know which surrounds to get. I'm using the VideoSecu http://www.videosecu.com/side-clampi...peakers-ms56b/
    mounts for my 4 rear surrounds now. The only issue I might have with the 170's is they recommend 3" of space behind them for the ports. Since my speakers are wall mounted they would stick out from the wall about 13". The ceilings in my basement movie room are only 6'8" so the speakers already are at a height where you can run into them if you're not careful. The back wall ones aren't as bad but the side wall mounted ones will get you if you're not paying attention. Is the sound quality that much of a difference between the 170's and 200's when used as surrounds? I have a 12" 500w sub and I'm using a Sherwood/Newcastle R972 receiver. My room is 12Wx22Lx6'8"H and is completely walled in except for a doorway on one wall.

Default Re: CBM-170SE vs HTM-200SE for surrounds w/340's L,R,C

Quote Originally Posted by jtenn View Post
    I just purchased the CMT-340SE L,R,C speakers. I was wanting to know which surrounds to get. I'm using the VideoSecu http://www.videosecu.com/side-clampi...peakers-ms56b/
    mounts for my 4 rear surrounds now. The only issue I might have with the 170's is they recommend 3" of space behind them for the ports. Since my speakers are wall mounted they would stick out from the wall about 13". The ceilings in my basement movie room are only 6'8" so the speakers already are at a height where you can run into them if you're not careful. The back wall ones aren't as bad but the side wall mounted ones will get you if you're not paying attention. Is the sound quality that much of a difference between the 170's and 200's when used as surrounds? I have a 12" 500w sub and I'm using a Sherwood/Newcastle R972 receiver. My room is 12Wx22Lx6'8"H and is completely walled in except for a doorway on one wall.
    For this application, I would definitely recommend going with our HTM-200's. They use the same tweeter as the 170's and while the 170's are a bit warmer sounding, since you will be using a subwoofer and wall mounting them -- the 200's will be perfect.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Of course Dave knows what he is talking about, but I'll chime in since I have the same setup ( 340SE LRC and HTM-200s for surrounds). My HTMs are also wall mounted. I have had the setup for 2 years now. Several of my friends/family/associates have walk up for a closer look at the surrounds after viewing movies at my house, and then ask me where I got them.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by johnkane View Post
    Of course Dave knows what he is talking about, but I'll chime in since I have the same setup ( 340SE LRC and HTM-200s for surrounds). My HTMs are also wall mounted. I have had the setup for 2 years now. Several of my friends/family/associates have walk up for a closer look at the surrounds after viewing movies at my house, and then ask me where I got them.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.
    How did you mount them to the wall?

Quote Originally Posted by jtenn View Post
    How did you mount them to the wall?
    I used Btech BT77 speaker mounts. I think amazon still carries but I found them on clearance somewhere. They are built really well, and can probably hold something much heavier. But the solid mount works well.

btechbt77.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by johnkane View Post
    I used Btech BT77 speaker mounts. I think amazon still carries but I found them on clearance somewhere. They are built really well, and can probably hold something much heavier. But the solid mount works well.

btechbt77.jpg
    Looks like the same ones I have in my current setup. Was planning on reusing them.
    http://www.videosecu.com/side-clampi...peakers-ms56b/
    Last edited by jtenn; 02-20-2015 at 06:53 PM.