Thread: Advice on Ascend speaker matching

Default Advice on Ascend speaker matching

Hey fellas,
    I am an owner of Ascends CBM-170 SE speakers that I had in my 2.1 computer setup. I have moved on to other speakers for that set up, and now I am looking to upgrade my home theater.
    I have a fairly standard living room (I don't have the measurements right now, but I can post later), with an opening into a small dining area and kitchen. Basically a square room with a small entry way on the side and front part turning into the dining space.

Anyway, after a many years of tower speakers I have decided to go all bookshelves for my upgrade. I have a baby coming soon (early next year), and it makes sense to me to get everything off the floor and wall mounted. I am sold on the Sierra-2's and am currently saving to get these babies. I plan on getting the Sierra-2's for LR and the Sierra-2 center. I cannot get the horizon for space reasons, and it's a little higher than my budget allows.
    My thought is to use my CBM-170 SE's for the surround speakers. I am going 5.1 for this set up. My set up will be used roughly 60%, 40% music. I also have a turntable and will be streaming music, as well as internet radio for these speakers.
    How good of a match are the CBM-170 SEs to the Sierra-2s? Would I be better off getting the HTM-200 SE as surrounds or would that be a step down from the CBM-170s?
    The CMT-340 SE's are a little too large since I will be wall mounting all speakers in the room (except the center).

I really like the CBM-170s and I cannot really afford Sierra-1s for surround at this point (not sure if it's worth the upgrade anyway). I really want to focus on the front stage with the LCR, because I am also looking at getting a sub.

Thanks for any advice.

Default Re: Advice on Ascend speaker matching

The HTM-200SE and CBM-170SE as surrounds...the main difference is the bass capability, as both speakers use the same tweeter.

If you can mount the 170SE's properly, they are a better speaker than the 200SE's and will work well with the Sierra-2.
    -curtis

Thanks for the quick response Curtis.
    I will have to be a bit creative with the mounting of the CBM's because the location of where they will be mounted are on front facing walls opposed to side walls. Kinda hard to explain but in my room I don't have much of a choice.
    I can live without the extra bass in the surrounds. I plan on getting a very capable sub, but havent decided which way to go just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    I can live without the extra bass in the surrounds. I plan on getting a very capable sub, but havent decided which way to go just yet.
    To be clear, the 170SE's have more output/bass than the 200SE's.

The 200SE's are easier to mount as they are small and sealed.
    -curtis

The search continues for a capable wall mount that will allow me to adjust the speaker into different positions. I will need to be able to turn the speaker in a 45 degree angle to get the best positioning in my room. I really like the 170SE's and am glad it will be a good match for the Sierra-2s. I will keep people here posted once I complete the system!
    Thanks Curtis

The search continues for a capable wall mount that will allow me to adjust the speaker into different positions. I will need to be able to turn the speaker in a 45 degree angle to get the best positioning in my room. I really like the 170SE's and am glad it will be a good match for the Sierra-2s. I will keep people here posted once I complete the system!
    Thanks Curtis
    These might work for you: http://www.pinpointmounts.com/AM-41_...l#.VApTk7l0yUk
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I'm using those Pinpoints--they work great.

Quote Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post
    I'm using those Pinpoints--they work great.
    Are you using them for the CBM-170s?

Are you using them for the CBM-170s?
    I'm using the AM40s with Sierra-1s.