Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ascend Sierra Tower Is Good Choice for me?

Default Re: Ascend Sierra Tower Is Good Choice for me?

Any info on what you think please?

Quote Originally Posted by Beave View Post
    Excellent post, IMO.

+1 to that.

To compare, put the speakers in a AB AB configuration, and the front of the speakers shoud be in front of the plane created by the equipment rack and any speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by 99Problems View Post
    Looks like you couldn't wait to audition Do post your impressions compared to the Martin Logans, i'm interested to hear what you think.
    Obviously I couldn't wait, I will be doing review soon.

Quote Originally Posted by icetech View Post
    Any info on what you think please?
    Having Sierra Tower for only after few days I might not be telling the whole story but my initial impression is positive.

My reference Audioquest speaker cables are out to a friend who wanted to try them for a week. Currently I'm using my back up Home made Canare 4s11 Cables.

Sierra NrT Towers does have the sound signature I like, very good mid range, mid bass is great punchy and fast. Also nice instrument separation with non fatiguing highs.
    IMHO: Highs are well balanced I can listen to it for long time, I did listen for about 4 hours on my first day with the speakers. I did not feel like I need to turn the volume down, these are there with the big boys for overall sound quality.

Compare to ML EM-ESL, these speakers are each of their own ML are great for the people who listen to Jazz,Vocals, Orchestra etc.,thats what they are great for and Sierra NrT Towers are more like all around players because it can do a lot of things very well. Few things I don't like about ML is so smooth and not dynamic enough for my taste.

Also I'm glad that I didn't go RAAL for tweeter, It might be another mistake for me because I like little edgy dynamic highs. IMO: Not all the music are suppose to listen super smooth and transparent. I strongly believe I made a right choice with Ascend Sierra Nrt Towers for my musical taste.

Here is some Video I made with my speakers, it may not be 100% accurate but I made for the people who can't audition the speakers for some reason to help them out.

Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL Playing Evie Sands.

I will be doing full review on my blog after few weeks.

Here is another one because I can not include two video link in one post(Forum Rules).

Focal 836V Playing Evie Sands.

I know is probably not worth the time comparing sound of a speaker thru a vid, but im suprised from the vids, the martin logan did sound like it has more ambience.
    Now i can not wait till make the sierra vid!

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post
    I know is probably not worth the time comparing sound of a speaker thru a vid, but im suprised from the vids, the martin logan did sound like it has more ambience.
    Now i can not wait till make the sierra vid!
    I concur. Even though the Focal was playing louder, the Martin Logan sounded better to my ears, more nuanced in the vocals.

Ascend Acoustic Sierra Tower Speakers Playing Evie Sands.

Very nice, thanks Steve! Great equipment and three very good speakers. The Ascend Towers may not have the sound volume or the bass of the Focals, but they seem cleaner and clearer to me. The Martin Logans sounded softer, more laid back and diffuse than the other two. Maybe this contributes to the 'ambiance' effect of this speaker.

To me the Sierra Tower looks the nicest.

Took a look and the 3 speakers are comparably priced. The Focals have dropped about 1K and are now around 2K.

I'm looking forward to your review of the three speakers. Any temptations to add a sub?

Again, thanks for a peek at three fine speakers.

Mark

Hi markie! you're welcome, sorry for late reply.
    I was busy working and busy listening to AST speakers

A day before yesterday I was playing with the placement of the speakers, Speakers are 7' apart, seating position is about 10' away. I think I found the best placement with just 10° toe-in and 14 inches to the wall from the back of the speakers.

With current placement sound stage is wider, kick drums and vocals are on dead center. Overall bigger sound stage, great musical sound from small floor standers.

One thing about AST speakers is it doesn't WOW! me on the first time but more I listen to it more I like it becuase these speakers do everything right and speakers disappear in the room with the music.

Regarding to Focal and ML,

Focal's 836V speakers sounded great and very enjoyable up to 70db, I can’t play louder than that because inverted metal dome tweeters gets really bright and hurting my ears.

At first I was blown away by the smooth sound and vocals with Martin Logan EM-ESLs but in the long run it can not give me to the sound that I want to enjoy, especially I was disappointed with 80s music.

My rating for sound quality is,

Focal 836V ★★★1/2
    MartinLogan EM-ESL ★★★★
    Ascend Sierra NrT Towers ★★★★1/2

About adding the subs, I have Martin Logan Abyss and original Dynamo sealed subwoofers but I don't use them when I'm listening music. I don't feel like I need them because 80db SPL with AST speakers I can feel the bass kick on my chest, it's pretty remarkable for small towers.

I will be tweaking with some new cables,

Happy Listening!