Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ascend Sierra Tower Is Good Choice for me?

Default Ascend Sierra Tower Is Good Choice for me?

Hello Everyone,

I'm a new member from SF Bay Area.
    I am very interested in Ascend Sierra Tower Speakers.
    My wife approved budget is around 2-3K for new speakers, I'm looking into Ascend, Salk, B&W, Kef, Tekton and Aperion speakers.

Ultimately B&W 804D would be my choice but it's not an option for now, so I have to work within my wife's approved budget.

This is for dedicated 2 channel set up only.
    I'm currently using Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL and Focal 836V in rotation. However, neither speaker is my favorite but I do like them to certain degree, I will be selling ML soon and Focal 836v is just gone today. I'm itching to get new speakers

I would like to ask a few question about Ascend Sierra Tower speakers regarding sound quality compare to other speakers like B&W 804D because I've never had a chance to audition Ascend speakers.
    FYI; I'm not trying to compare them with 804D, I'm just using 804D as my benchmark.

So, please compare them to the best you could and explain why Ascend Sierra Towers are so good in this price range and better price to performance ratio than any other speakers in 2-3k price range.

I do like neutral sound(on little warm side) with good dynamic, good vocal quality, live like top end with tight bass and wide soundstage. I'm not interested in RAAL tweeter because I move around a lot while I'm listing and my wife only listen to trance and pop music (she loves bass).

I listen to wide variety of music from 80s,Jazz,Blues,Heavy Metal, Rock, Alternative, Country, Soul, Southern Rock to Island Music. So, it does have to work with all kind of music. I'm not planing to have two pair of speakers like I did until today.

My listing room is 12'Wx24'Lx8'H.
    My system,
    Source: Marantz UD7007.
    Pre-Amp: Parasound Halo P5.
    Power Amp: Parasound Halo A21.
    AudioQuest Diamond Back XLR cables & Type-4 Speaker cables.
    PS Audio Detect Power Center with AC-12 & AC-5 Power Cords.
    20 Amp Dedicated AC line with Take Five Audio Cryo Treated Hubbell 5362W Heavy Duty Outlets.

Thanks in Advance,
    Steve
    Last edited by Tharbamar; 09-02-2014 at 10:09 PM.

Default Re: Ascend Sierra Tower Is Good Choice for me?

I don't think your question is really answerable, especially not by myself since I just placed my Ascend order, but I'll tell you this:

I've researched speakers for 19 years. I work as a software analyst and am really good at (and really enjoy) researching the hell out of new purchases, but I found speakers to be a singularly difficult topic to study.

Professional reviews are nearly useless: Most products receiving glowing reviews and contain vague, overused phrases such as "sounds better than speakers costing thousands more" and "really opens up the sound stage," along with other oenophile terminology ("texture", "layers", "terroir") awkwardly and pretentiously applied to music.

The audiophile community muddies the waters further, providing a convincing argument that wealth is inversely proportional to rationality. It amazes me that to this day, audio enthusiasts often claim with a straight face that they hear audible improvements between speaker cables, power outlets, and even different lossless encoding formats.
    Few seem to have much knowledge of the science behind audio, and that's fine because it's an enormously complex topic, but claims of expertise are common. I myself have little knowledge of the science, but I worked hard to familiarize myself with the more objective concepts such as comb filtering, line arrays, J arrays, the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem, crossover design, et al.

Through my own research, which comes with all the authority of a random person you read on the internet, I ended up choosing an Ascend system. Their open, detailed, unexpurgated charts and measurements along with their no-nonsense engineering, great community, consistently excellent reviews both anecdotal and professional [though see above], and excellent specs left little reason to doubt my purchase.

My budget might have included 804Ds (though I didn't consider them), though I was also looking at Axiom, Paradigm's Signature and Tribute line, Aperion, Salk, Martin Logan Theos (maybe Ethos if I went wild), and others, but based on the available data I could find no evidence that they were any better or even as good. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that the B&W's must be better because the name is famous and they cost several times more -- that same logic leads many to buy **** or B&O systems.

Ascend is not a famous company so won't impress friends with the name plate. The speakers aren't as stylized as, say, B&W Nautilus or Magicos (though I really like the bamboo) but if you do get some Sierra towers and get a chance to do an in-home audition with those vaunted 804D's, let us know how it goes. I think you'll be surprised.

Hello Sivas,

Thanks for your input, As a hobbyist I do lots and lots of research and audition before I commit to a pair speakers.(Planing for a trip to Ascend)

I've been doing this since 1993 started in Japan. (IMO: Tokyo, Akihabara is the Best place on earth to audition all the low to hi-end audio products). So, here in the U.S is not easy at all to audition everything in short period of time, it's not so easy to make decision because audio memory can only last few seconds for me.

Also, I've been in manufacturing and wholesale industry for long time and I really don't want to pay retail price for anything unless I'm certain to accept the quality of the product is worth for asking price.

Once I made a choice I will have it for 5-10 years at least. Brand Name is also a important because quality control and the badge that carries the face of the company but does not have to be big brand name to impress some one. Those are the main reasons I'm more interested in buying from internet direct company like Ascend but my goal is to have best bang for the bugs. (I read all the good things on online about Ascend reputation).

Audio is all about synergy doesn't have to be expensive to produce good quality sound, matching is important to me more than anything.

So, I've been auditioning B&W CM 9, CM 10 and Focal Aria 926, 936 etc., so far nothing hook me to pull the trigger.

Martin Logan is good but not for me even-though I have a pair of ElectroMotion ESL (I bought them to help a friend). I'm traditional box speaker guy in heart.

I think more appropriate question would be "Tell me more about Ascend Sierra NrT Tower speakers"
    So, anyone please tell me more about your Ascend tower experience.,

Thank you,

Steve

Hello,

I cannot to speak your the Sierra NrT Tower query, however I can tell you that the Sierra 2's have excellent off axis performance. I do not even have to toe-in these towers because the soundstage
    is wider by utilizing them facing straight forward. My speakers are 7' apart and my mlp is 10'.
    The room restrictions require this spacing
    Your requirement of "accuracy" and "good dynamics" will be more than met by the 2's.
    They are also within your budget. I just wanted to encourage you to keep an open mind in regards to your Sierra choices. Perhaps others will chime in.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by essneff; 09-04-2014 at 06:13 AM.

Tharbamar,

i'm also in the SF bay area, and have Sierra Towers and a Horizon center being delivered today as a matter of fact. It will probably be middle of next week before I have everything set up and running, but if you wanted to hear a pair in person, I'd be happy to host and you can come hear them for yourself. I did get the RAAL tweeter version of the tower though, but like Essneff mentions, from all accounts the RAAL tweeter has very good off axis performance.

FYI, my room is not too dissimilar in size to yours, about 20x13x8.

My gear is Emotiva XPA-5, UMC-200, BlueJean Cables, and for music source I'm using a macbook pro playing lossless audio files and letting the UMC-200 DAC do the decoding.

Hi,

Thank you so much for your offer, I'd love to audition your speakers. Please let me know whenever in your convenient. I'm down to anywhere in Bay Area.
    I will send you PM with my number.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sivar View Post
    I don't think your question is really answerable, especially not by myself since I just placed my Ascend order, but I'll tell you this:

I've researched speakers for 19 years. I work as a software analyst and am really good at (and really enjoy) researching the hell out of new purchases, but I found speakers to be a singularly difficult topic to study.

Professional reviews are nearly useless: Most products receiving glowing reviews and contain vague, overused phrases such as "sounds better than speakers costing thousands more" and "really opens up the sound stage," along with other oenophile terminology ("texture", "layers", "terroir") awkwardly and pretentiously applied to music.

The audiophile community muddies the waters further, providing a convincing argument that wealth is inversely proportional to rationality. It amazes me that to this day, audio enthusiasts often claim with a straight face that they hear audible improvements between speaker cables, power outlets, and even different lossless encoding formats.
    Few seem to have much knowledge of the science behind audio, and that's fine because it's an enormously complex topic, but claims of expertise are common. I myself have little knowledge of the science, but I worked hard to familiarize myself with the more objective concepts such as comb filtering, line arrays, J arrays, the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem, crossover design, et al.

Through my own research, which comes with all the authority of a random person you read on the internet, I ended up choosing an Ascend system. Their open, detailed, unexpurgated charts and measurements along with their no-nonsense engineering, great community, consistently excellent reviews both anecdotal and professional [though see above], and excellent specs left little reason to doubt my purchase.

My budget might have included 804Ds (though I didn't consider them), though I was also looking at Axiom, Paradigm's Signature and Tribute line, Aperion, Salk, Martin Logan Theos (maybe Ethos if I went wild), and others, but based on the available data I could find no evidence that they were any better or even as good. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that the B&W's must be better because the name is famous and they cost several times more -- that same logic leads many to buy **** or B&O systems.

Ascend is not a famous company so won't impress friends with the name plate. The speakers aren't as stylized as, say, B&W Nautilus or Magicos (though I really like the bamboo) but if you do get some Sierra towers and get a chance to do an in-home audition with those vaunted 804D's, let us know how it goes. I think you'll be surprised.
    Excellent post, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Sivar View Post

This coming from the person who was going to avoid purchasing Ascend speakers because the Ascend website didn't meet ones standards. Interesting.

look what the cat dragged in..
    Out of the box impression is pretty good, I will be comparing with ML ElectroMotion ESL and Focal 836V (Sold).

Looks like you couldn't wait to audition Do post your impressions compared to the Martin Logans, i'm interested to hear what you think.