Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ascend products in a difficult room

Default Re: Ascend products in a difficult room

Quote Originally Posted by essneff View Post
    The Bamboo upgrade on the Songs is $300. ($4240)
    The stated FR of the Salks is 42-20k.
    The Sierra's FR 34-27k
    Sensitivity: Salks 88db........Sierra's 92db
    In "Direct Mode" wouldn't the Sierra's play lower than the Songtower?
    I personally feel the Bamboo cabinet is well worth having.
    Make sure you are using the anechoic measurements for each, and the Sierra Tower with RAAL measurements/specs.
    -curtis

Just a quick note that I went with the Sierra Towers & Horizon center, with ribbons all around. The Horizon came a couple weeks ago to complete the purchase and then I took off on a vacation... So, I still haven't had time to properly dial everything in with Audyssey, just doing a quick level match instead.

I do like how everything sounds and am definitely not going to be sending anything back.

As hoped, the Horizon center is a significant upgrade. Dialog is much clearer as compared with my old PSB center, and we can run at lower volume settings. This (Horizon) is a really big speaker and I will say my wife wasn't exactly thrilled by the size. It's a good thing we left plenty of room between the bottom of the TV and the equipment shelf the Horizon sits on.

The towers sound quite good in as close to the sweet spot as I can get without moving furniture. The mid-base is a bit lower level than with the PSB setup I had before, which I believe is more accurate. The towers can go quite low and loud when asked, as I noticed playing some Alt-j last night. I can't really judge 2-channel imaging as I will need some time when I can shift some furniture around to do some critical listening in the right spot.

Generally the towers sound smooth and accurate. In a 3.1 configuration (with a 15" vented sub) they seem very good for home theater.

I'll circle back after I have a chance to get everything dialed-in & do some extended listening.

-Dick Locke

Cool Re: Ascend products in a difficult room

Enjoy your dial in. It is best to be left alone in the house while you perform the quintessential task of our hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by dlocke View Post
    Just a quick note that I went with the Sierra Towers & Horizon center, with ribbons all around. The Horizon came a couple weeks ago to complete the purchase and then I took off on a vacation... So, I still haven't had time to properly dial everything in with Audyssey, just doing a quick level match instead.

I do like how everything sounds and am definitely not going to be sending anything back.

As hoped, the Horizon center is a significant upgrade. Dialog is much clearer as compared with my old PSB center, and we can run at lower volume settings. This (Horizon) is a really big speaker and I will say my wife wasn't exactly thrilled by the size. It's a good thing we left plenty of room between the bottom of the TV and the equipment shelf the Horizon sits on.

The towers sound quite good in as close to the sweet spot as I can get without moving furniture. The mid-base is a bit lower level than with the PSB setup I had before, which I believe is more accurate. The towers can go quite low and loud when asked, as I noticed playing some Alt-j last night. I can't really judge 2-channel imaging as I will need some time when I can shift some furniture around to do some critical listening in the right spot.

Generally the towers sound smooth and accurate. In a 3.1 configuration (with a 15" vented sub) they seem very good for home theater.

I'll circle back after I have a chance to get everything dialed-in & do some extended listening.

-Dick Locke
    Good move with the ribbons all around.
    You will be pleased!

Quote Originally Posted by blutarsky View Post
    enjoy your dial in. It is best to be left alone in the house while you perform the quintessential task of our hobby.
    lol!

Yeah, with my living situation (elderly father-in-law) I might have the house to myself a few hours a year ;-) So I am still trying to find a time when I can get the living room to myself for an extended period...

Quote Originally Posted by Blutarsky View Post
    Enjoy your dial in. It is best to be left alone in the house while you perform the quintessential task of our hobby.

I did get a chance to run Audyssey a few weeks ago. I don't have a seat centered in my room, so I did the first sample with the mic in the middle, then most of the rest near my chair which is a couple feet right of center. It sounds like some bass room modes are tamed, resulting in subjectively less bass, but a better overall sound and more articulate vocals & highs.

Quote Originally Posted by dlocke View Post
    Yeah, with my living situation (elderly father-in-law) I might have the house to myself a few hours a year ;-) So I am still trying to find a time when I can get the living room to myself for an extended period...