Thread: How to tighten and/or replace RAAL ribbons

Post How to tighten and/or replace RAAL ribbons

I do not own RAAL-ribbon speakers (yet?), but the following video shows how to replace a RAAL ribbon and how to tighten a new or existing ribbon.

http://youtu.be/bvylZF9eJOA

The video is interesting in that it shows some of the internals of the ribbon tweeter.

Hopefully no one needs to do this other than in very unusual circumstances, but it's fun to watch (for me, anyway).

Default Re: How to tighten and/or replace RAAL ribbons

Which begs the question: will my Sierra-2s need periodic "tightening"?

--Pegleg

Thumbs up Re: How to tighten and/or replace RAAL ribbons

Quote Originally Posted by pegleg View Post

--Pegleg
    My impression from the video was, "RAAL is trying to be open about their setup and not force people into shipping tweeters to Serbia for repair."
    and a "If you ever jam a sword into your tweeter and need to replace it, here's how to do so and tighten it afterwards."

As for every needing to replace the ribbon (and therefore tighten it), RAAL has this to say:
    RIBBON REPLACEMENT KIT: ribbon replacement is made easy by our ribbon replacement kit, which is easily replaced by the user. This “kit” is in fact our SYMMLEAD® signal leading frame, holding the stretched ribbon, allowing it to snap into perfect position between the magnets.
    This feature might be an obsolete one, because RAAL ribbons are destructible only by really extreme abuse or curiosity. In two years, we sent away only 3 replacement kits to customers who destroyed the ribbons by opening the drivers out of curiosity. Aside from that, our reliability record is 0% failure rate.

Default Re: How to tighten and/or replace RAAL ribbons

Quote Originally Posted by pegleg View Post

--Pegleg
    No. Ribbon tightening is only performed when the ribbon diaphragm is replaced in the 70 series RAAL ribbons.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com