Thread: Help Please

A quick correction. The crossover change in the center version of the 340 is not intended to change the sound for dialog, but is an extended baffle compensation to address teh fact that most people have a center channel speaker on top of, or below, a TV set. The large flat surface of the TV is like an extended baffle on the speaker, thus the change.

"Now, I know most people here have the Ascends. I know that there was also a test using the CMT170's vs. the Rockets and the Rockets won despite the fact the CMT's were using a HSU sub."

the rockets won for one person. keep that in mind. i disagree with that person's results, but he would probably also disagree with mine. big deal. i'm sure we don't drive the same vehicles and eat the same food either.

you really will not know FOR SURE until you listen. i prefer the Ascend speakers (model 170 and 340) over rocket's various models. that's my preference, but i'm confident with the decision.

metalaaron is right...it was one person's opinion, and also the CMT-340's were not set up optimally with the sub.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> am in Canada so I don't think I'll go the Swan route as they are made in China (so I will get dinged duty). <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    So are the Rockets.

-curtis

I can't comment on the other online speakers, as I haven't heard them. A friend of mine has a Paradigm setup that he paid a lot more for than my Ascends, and to me, and him surprisingly, the Paradigms don't best the Ascends. They have a similar sound, but at higher volumes the Paradigms sound a bit congested to me, not as detailed as my Ascends when rocking the house. That's just my 2 cents.

Hi all - thanks very much for taking the time to read my long post and provide your feedback.

BradJudy - thanks for the info on the center channel. I also read your review on the Ascends from about two years ago - very detailed and informative - a pleasure to read and the time it took you to write that is very much appreciated by me (and I'm sure by others).

metalaaron/Curtis - your absolutely right. I realize it is one person's opinion, and the Rockets are also made in China. I prefer Canadian or American made, and not just for NAFTA, for speakers. Although it was good to read about a second place finish for the Ascends - this was what got me serious about them. I know it sounds kind of backwards - but I just hesitate when I hear only 'great' things about a speaker, and how it 'can't be beat by anything'. I just don't buy that as speakers are very subjective, surely someone out there will have a differing opinion.

Eddie - thanks for your comments on the Paradigms as compared to the Ascend. By any chance, do you recall the Paradigm line your friend is using?

Either way, I think for the landed cost of a pair of these speakers I can't go wrong. If I like what I hear, I will order the other three (the center and matching 340's for the rear). If I don't like them, I'm sure I wouldn't have a hard time selling them (or of course returning them if I can't get a good enough offer for them when selling).

glad you can read between the lines.

i compared the 340s and 170s to paradigm's v.3 studio 20s, 40s, &570, rocket 250s, 200, & 750s, and axiom m60s, vp150, & qs8. paradigm has a unique sound that was the closest contender IMHO, but i still prefered the sound of the ascends. preferred them over the rockets and axioms as well. i won't say why *SPECIFICALLY this vs. that* any longer because it always causes issues. the ascends sound very natural and clean with my equipment. i prefer their sound overall because of the balance and clarity.

i wanted an Ace of Spades in this deck so i bought the Ascends.

The Paradigms I compared the 340's to were the Monitor 9 series. No contest, IMO.