Thread: Which Receiver for 5.1 Sierra Towers, Horizon C, Sierra 2 Surrounds & Rythmik FV15

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 5.1 Sierra Towers, Horizon C, Sierra 2 Surrounds & Rythmik FV15

Hi, I am in the process of setting up a home theatre, and I was hoping to get some recommendations for the AVR I will be purchasing, and to get some feedback on whether this setup is overkill for my room size.

Some Information, and system requirements are as follows:

Room Details:
    Dimensions: 10 feet x 11 Feet
    Volume: 1000 Cubic feet
    Distance to speakers: 3 Meters
    All four walls are cement with drywall
    Floor is ceramic tile, however I will be purchasing a carpet

The couch is right against the rear wall which is not ideal for sound. Furthermore, the tower will be close to the side and back walls which will result in reflections but I will try to counteract this with some toe in. I am considering putting up curtains along the back wall which could be closed for movies to reduce reflections though.

The wall to the right has a couch against it with a row of windows above, and the wall to the left has a doorway, so it isn't ideal for room treatment.

Speakers
    I am considering the following 5.1 system
    - Sierra Tower with RAAL upgrade
    - Sierra Horizon with RAAL upgrade
    - Serra 2 surrounds (Or would Sierra 1's or the 170 be better?)
    - Rythmik FV15 Sub

System Use
    Primarily Movies 90%+

Receiver Requirements
    Needs 3-4 HDMI inputs
    I do not want to get an amp as well as a receiver, therefore it must be able drive the system.
    No brand preference.
    Bluray Player: Oppo 103

I am interested in set up software such as Audyssey XT32, or the systems that other companies such as Yamaha, or Anthem use. However, my research indicates that these do not do a lot to correct poor room acoustics (i.e. lots of reflections). In some cases, I have heard that they actually make the sound worse by cutting out certain frequencies in order to try and correct for the room. Therefore I am not sure if they are worth the investment for my situation.

Unfortunately I do not have any experience calibrating the audio myself, however I would be ok with learning to use Room Eq wizard, and I would purchase an SPL meter to do the setup myself.

Thanks for your time!
    Last edited by Evolution; 08-21-2014 at 09:52 PM.