Thread: Which Receiver for 5.1 Sierra Towers, Horizon C, Sierra 2 Surrounds & Rythmik FV15

Default 5.1 Sierra Towers, Horizon C, Sierra 2 Surrounds & Rythmik FV15

Hi, I am in the process of setting up a home theatre, and I was hoping to get some recommendations for the AVR I will be purchasing, and to get some feedback on whether this setup is overkill for my room size.

Some Information, and system requirements are as follows:

Room Details:
    Dimensions: 10 feet x 11 Feet
    Volume: 1000 Cubic feet
    Distance to speakers: 3 Meters
    All four walls are cement with drywall
    Floor is ceramic tile, however I will be purchasing a carpet

The couch is right against the rear wall which is not ideal for sound. Furthermore, the tower will be close to the side and back walls which will result in reflections but I will try to counteract this with some toe in. I am considering putting up curtains along the back wall which could be closed for movies to reduce reflections though.

The wall to the right has a couch against it with a row of windows above, and the wall to the left has a doorway, so it isn't ideal for room treatment.

Speakers
    I am considering the following 5.1 system
    - Sierra Tower with RAAL upgrade
    - Sierra Horizon with RAAL upgrade
    - Serra 2 surrounds (Or would Sierra 1's or the 170 be better?)
    - Rythmik FV15 Sub

System Use
    Primarily Movies 90%+

Receiver Requirements
    Needs 3-4 HDMI inputs
    I do not want to get an amp as well as a receiver, therefore it must be able drive the system.
    No brand preference.
    Bluray Player: Oppo 103

I am interested in set up software such as Audyssey XT32, or the systems that other companies such as Yamaha, or Anthem use. However, my research indicates that these do not do a lot to correct poor room acoustics (i.e. lots of reflections). In some cases, I have heard that they actually make the sound worse by cutting out certain frequencies in order to try and correct for the room. Therefore I am not sure if they are worth the investment for my situation.

Unfortunately I do not have any experience calibrating the audio myself, however I would be ok with learning to use Room Eq wizard, and I would purchase an SPL meter to do the setup myself.

Thanks for your time!
    Last edited by Evolution; 08-21-2014 at 09:52 PM.

Default Re: 5.1 Sierra Towers, Horizon C, Sierra 2 Surrounds & Rythmik FV15

I have an Anthem MRX-300 and it drives my LCR Sierra-2s and rears HTM-200 just fine... ARC works great I don't find it hurts the sound at all or cuts anything out but tightens the sound and does great things with the sub(Rythmik E15HP). I would recommend Anthem, I also really like Cambride but they don't really have a room correction or much of one, so if that's important to you cross that off.

You have a small room there so the output rating of pretty much any receiver will drive your speakers to ear splitting levels with no trouble. However if Audyssey XT32 is a feature you're after (which it was for me) then I would recommend the Denon X4000 which is on run out at the moment for around $800 in the US.

Thanks for the replies! I am now considering the Denon X4000 as well as Anthem because their Arc room correction looks very impressive.

Would the MRX 510 be sufficient for the speakers I have chosen (100 watts per channel) or would the MRX 710 be a better choice at 120 watts per channel with my small room size?

Also, has anyone had both Audyssey and ARC, and does the performance justify the increased price?
    I would likely be running the Anthem Arc Room Correction software in auto mode, because manual mode seems complicated. Note: I don't mind that Anthem doesn't come with features such as airplay, spotify etc.
    Last edited by Evolution; 08-21-2014 at 09:25 PM.

I wonder if Sierra-1 LCR with 170 surrounds would work better in this small room. In fact, I would love to hear it. Some wall treatments might help. You didn't mention windows. Moving the sofa out a little would really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Evolution View Post
    Thanks for the replies! I am now considering the Denon X4000 as well as Anthem because their Arc room correction looks very impressive.

Would the MRX 510 be sufficient for the speakers I have chosen (100 watts per channel) or would the MRX 710 be a better choice at 120 watts per channel with my small room size?

Also, has anyone had both Audyssey and ARC, and does the performance justify the increased price?
    I would likely be running the Anthem Arc Room Correction software in auto mode, because manual mode seems complicated. Note: I don't mind that Anthem doesn't come with features such as airplay, spotify etc.
    The 310 could run that with ease... There's a member here who has the towers and center with a MRX-300 running his setup with no problems. The 510 would be more than enough..

Thumbs up Re: 5.1 Sierra Towers, Horizon C, Sierra 2 Surrounds & Rythmik FV15

Quote Originally Posted by astr0b0y View Post
    You have a small room there so the output rating of pretty much any receiver will drive your speakers to ear splitting levels with no trouble. However if Audyssey XT32 is a feature you're after (which it was for me) then I would recommend the Denon X4000 which is on run out at the moment for around $800 in the US.
    Can you please PM me where I can buy it for $800. That seems to be a great price.

thanks.

On Watts it takes doubling the Watts for every three dB increase in volume(if everything else stays the same). While you'd think that 20 % higher wattage of 120 Watts vs 100 Watts would be significant it isn't really going to be very different. 3dBs volume change is about the minimum volume change that the average person can detect.

I'd pay more attention how much power can be delivered on all channels at the same time.
    Last edited by Quinn; 08-23-2014 at 01:58 PM.