Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do You Recall......

Default Do You Recall......

Do you recall way back when you had those speakers,your first really good sounding "high quality" set of speakers or so you believed to be truely awsome.I do. Back In the 70s' I owned 2 sets of Large Advents, They were stacked, one on top of the other, with an add on 3 tweeter array at the very top. Man talk about a wall of sound, and tremendous room shaking bass. These were power hungry animals yet I still managed to blow out a woofer and a tweeter. I would love to hear what other Ascend owners once owned. Don't be shy.

80s: Sansui "stereo-cassette-turntable-in-a-box"
    90s: Rogersound lab (local low-midfi dealer now defunct) mini-monitors + Onkyo 40w sub (from Japan)
    Present: Full Ascend setup

1971: Blose 901's
    1976: Allison 3's
    1979: ADS 810-II's
    1986: Mission 761's
    2004: Ascend 340's

There were lots of others but these were what I spent my quality time with. The Alliison's were special. They were corner loaded so they would only work properly under very limited circumstances which I had till I moved in 79.
    I'm told the same is true of the Blose but I have never heard them sound anywhere near as good as their price tag.

David

Hey bikeman, I recall when those Blose(ha! ha! ) first appeared, They made a huge splash, with there multi speakers enclosure, If I recall no crossover was needed, and they required a huge amount of power. The demo that I once saw at now gone, Pacific Stereo had them hanging from the ceiling. Were yours mounted this way?

Wow....Rogersound Labs brings back some memories......as does Pacific Stereo(but they are still around as Pacific Sales I think).

Growing up, my Dad was into mid-fi for a while. When I was a toddler, he had some kind of console unit. The story is that I spilled milk into it when I was 2 or 3 years old, and it stopped working for a week....but all was OK when it dried out.

In the 70's, he then had a some big RTR speakers with electrostatic tweeters that needed AC power to operate. These were fed by a Nikko integrated amp at first, and then when that died, he got a Technics integrated. I had a good time with these. My Parents gave these away a year or so ago, and got Ascends.

As my brothers and I got older, my Dad put some speakers in the family room. A trip to the Federated Group, and we came home with some inexpensive Electrovoice two-ways. These were fed by the "b" speaker outputs of that Technics.

I went away to college and lived with a couple of boomboxes for a while, but during my second year, my dorm roommate was a physics major and had made some HUGE speakers....they sounded pretty good. The only place we could put them was above our closets which was ment for storage space. They were powered by a Sansui receiver I think. We had some of the best parties!

Got out of college and wanted a nice setup. I got an Onkyo receiver and a pair of Klipsch KG4's.....and eventually moved to some Adcom seperates. Again...some great parties with those speakers.

Had some inexpensive Dalquists and Polks mixed in there somewhere too.

The past 3 or 4 years have been my Ascends.
    -curtis

i'm new to the "nice speaker" arena, so my current ascend setup is my first really great system. i do remember when i got my first major boombox of sorts, though. it was about 8 years ago, i got decent RCA combo unit that had four speakers (two mains, and two crappy little "surrounds"). eventually, the cd changer on the system crapped out, and that is when i started to get the itch to upgrade my system.

i started off with buying a sony es line 5-disc changer that i ran through the auxiliary input on the RCA. this got me interested in going with a component system, and i hijacked my mom's old kenwood stereo receiver and turntable (i had a couple 7"s from various shows i had been to) and started using that instead of the RCA unit. i eventually got my own receiver and turntable, "traded" my mom her old receiver and turntable for her cassette deck, and then started upgrading my speakers. it's been a hell of a run so far and i've enjoyed every second of it.
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

Wow drewface, you've made some great decisions I"m impressed. Over the years I've had my share of mshaps, questionable decisions, and yes been ripped off a couple of times.(glad to say this has not occurred in recent years).

Quote Originally Posted by jvillas
    The demo that I once saw at now gone, Pacific Stereo had them hanging from the ceiling. Were yours mounted this way?
    Nope. They were on stands that the dealer recommended. Good information was hard to come by back then. I wanted Klipsch speakers but didn't have the room and the dealer fed me a line about the 901's and the promotional material made them sound like the best thing since sliced bread and I handed over the cash. Good learning experience for a young guy. I was a heck of a lot wiser the next time around.

David

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    A trip to the Federated Group, and we came home with some inexpensive Electrovoice two-ways.
    Yeah, in the L.A. area, before BB/GG/CC, my favorite places to window-shop electronics was The Federated Group (probably about 1/20th the floorspace of any retailer now) or Fedco, and then later Adray's and RSL. Oh yeah, and before the internet, the Crutchfield catalogs.

Quote Originally Posted by BGHD
    Yeah, in the L.A. area, before BB/GG/CC, my favorite places to window-shop electronics was The Federated Group (probably about 1/20th the floorspace of any retailer now) or Fedco, and then later Adray's and RSL. Oh yeah, and before the internet, the Crutchfield catalogs.
    Oh wow...Fedco! Our family used to take what seemed like weekly trips to the one on La Cienaga. I got my very first album from there...I must of been in third or fourth grade.

Which reminds me....my very first audio system was a stereo record player.
    -curtis