Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sierra 2 with the dome tweeter instead

Default Sierra 2 with the dome tweeter instead

Hi Dave,

just wodering if the nrt tweeter would work with the new seas woofer.
    Looking to upgrade to the sierra 2 but im inclined to a dome tweeter for a more of a sizzling highs.

Default Re: Sierra 2 with the dome tweeter instead

The new woofer was the key to making the Sierra-2 possible in that it has low mass combined with high stiffness, so it would be able to start and stop on par with extremely low mass and lightning quickness of the RAAL ribbon. It needed to be crossed higher than a "ordinary" woofer without cone breakup to get the desired performance out of the RAAL. It does not have the deep bass ability of the standard Sierra-1 woofer. I'm not sure what advantage the new woofer with Nrt tweeter would produce. Maybe Dave will chime in.

IMO, integrating the nrt would be an easy job for Dave.
    I am not concern about cone masses giving the nrt is used on the sierra 1 upgrade version and on the towers which obviously the drivers that integrate have very different masses.

Regarding break up, if there is , you would want to cross lower and not higher. Giving one the material of the cone is polypropelene, it should have good damping for smooth response. One of the reasos why the sierra 2 crosses higher than the towers it is because the raal used is simply less robust than the raal used on the towers. Looking at the measurements of the sierra1, the sierra 2 crossover point should be slightly higher or close to what the sierra 1 crossover is and it is nothing out of ordinary.

The advantage should be similar to the sierra 2 except for a different taste for highs.
    Last edited by RicardoJoa; 08-05-2014 at 01:06 AM.

I would imagine the off axis profiles would also need to "match" at the crossover point.

I'll leave that to Dave
    But i guess with the sierra 2 crossover at over 3k, and if those NRT could be crossed lower, that shouldnt be an issue.

i am also interested in this.i really like the ascend dome tweeters.the extra detail with the nrt tweeter combined with that of the sierra 2 woofer would be perfect if feasible.i wouldn't mind losing the small bit of extension down low.

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post
    Hi Dave,

just wodering if the nrt tweeter would work with the new seas woofer.
    Looking to upgrade to the sierra 2 but im inclined to a dome tweeter for a more of a sizzling highs.
    Hey Ricardo,

We actually built up a custom pair of these for a local customer of ours. He had Sierra-1 NrT and simply wanted to add the new woofer. Performance was terrific, with major performance upgrades in midrange detail and bass accuracy. The NrT dome combined with the S2 woofer offers much versatility with regard to crossover point and slopes -- so optimizing the speaker for a linear on and off-axis response was a simple task. If I recall, I crossed at about 2kHz.

We'd be happy to build up a pair for you.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Hey Ricardo,

We actually built up a custom pair of these for a local customer of ours. He had Sierra-1 NrT and simply wanted to add the new woofer. Performance was terrific, with major performance upgrades in midrange detail and bass accuracy. The NrT dome combined with the S2 woofer offers much versatility with regard to crossover point and slopes -- so optimizing the speaker for a linear on and off-axis response was a simple task. If I recall, I crossed at about 2kHz.

We'd be happy to build up a pair for you.
    Yahoo.....im in Dave!
    Will be sending in an email for detail.

Great to hear this.

Hey Dave,

What frequency is the Raal in the S2 crossed at? I know it's higher than the S1. Thanks.
    Last edited by Bill66; 08-14-2014 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill66 View Post
    Hey Dave,

What frequency is the Raal in the S2 crossed at? I know it's higher than the S1. Thanks.
    ~ 2.8kHz...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com