Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Differences between Rythmik FV15Hp and F25

Default Differences between Rythmik FV15Hp and F25

I know that in general the transient response of sealed subs are supposed to be better than that of ported subs and ported subs are supposed to have quite a bit more output at the lower end. But the output seems very similar between the FV15Hp and the F25 and the F25 should have better transient response than the FV15HP. According to the Rythmik website:

"Output comparison

At 20 Hz, our subs vary in their maximum output capability. The output at 20 Hz is shown relative to F12.

F12: 0db (baseline)
    F15: +2db D15: +2db
    LV12R: +2.5db
    E15HP: + 3.5db
    F15HP: +4db
    FV15: +7db
    FV15HP: +9.5db
    F25: +8db"

So the FV15HP has a slight advantage of output at 20Hz. However, since the F25 is sealed it should roll off more gradually, so below 20Hz output should be higher on the F25. If the differences in output are only slight, will I hear much of a difference between the two with music? What about with movies? If a sealed sub has the same output capability as a similarly priced ported sub, wouldn't the sealed sub be the better of the two?

I compared my new Sierra 2s with other similarly priced speakers exhibiting flat frequency response on axis as well as quite far off axis. I could immediately hear the difference between the Sierra 2s and the other speakers and I attribute this mostly to the faster transient response of the ribbon tweeter in the Sierra 2s. A better comparison is the folks that have upgraded the Sierra 1 to the Sierra 2 and preferred the difference in sound quality for almost double the price. I wonder if the same will hold true in the below 80 Hz region with subwoofers?

Default Re: Differences between Rythmik FV15Hp and F25

With music, i would be more concern with the higher frequencies rather then the lowest, in which based on the discription of the f25, has more power than the FV15.
    It will be most likely hard to hear the difference as frequencies below 20hz are rather sensational.
    Last edited by RicardoJoa; 08-11-2014 at 02:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post
    With music, i would be more concern with the higher frequencies rather then the lowest, in which based on the discription of the f25, has more power than the FV15.
    It will be most likely hard to hear the difference as frequencies below 20hz are rather sensational.
    I guess the reason I was bringing up lower frequencies, is that sealed subwoofers will have the most difficult time getting the same output at 20 Hz in comparison to a ported sub in the same price class. So if the F25 and FV15HP have nearly the same output at 20 Hz then we could expect the same to be true up to around 40 or 50 Hz, where the F25 probably has a little bit more output than the FV15HP, as you mention. So the FV15HP has a slight advantage below 40Hz and the F25 has a slight advantage above 40Hz.

My concern is more with respect to home theater, as the F25 would likely have the advantage for music. If the frequency response is quite similar between the two, and I am okay with the size of the F25 and slightly higher price, then which of the two would have the advantage for home theater? Also, will I be able to hear faster transient response of the F25 and is this something more desirable for home theater use? I cannot see why a main speaker with faster transient response wouldn't be more desirable for home theater or music use, but there seems to be some who prefer the sound of ported subs for home theater use.

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    I guess the reason I was bringing up lower frequencies, is that sealed subwoofers will have the most difficult time getting the same output at 20 Hz in comparison to a ported sub in the same price class. So if the F25 and FV15HP have nearly the same output at 20 Hz then we could expect the same to be true up to around 40 or 50 Hz, where the F25 probably has a little bit more output than the FV15HP, as you mention. So the FV15HP has a slight advantage below 40Hz and the F25 has a slight advantage above 40Hz.

My concern is more with respect to home theater, as the F25 would likely have the advantage for music. If the frequency response is quite similar between the two, and I am okay with the size of the F25 and slightly higher price, then which of the two would have the advantage for home theater? Also, will I be able to hear faster transient response of the F25 and is this something more desirable for home theater use? I cannot see why a main speaker with faster transient response wouldn't be more desirable for home theater or music use, but there seems to be some who prefer the sound of ported subs for home theater use.
    I cant say which to which as i dont own either ones. I own a F15 and im compleaty happy with it.
    But you can take a look at the sealed version FR and i would assume that the F25 would have similar FR.
    If you look at the ported version, the FR is faltter.

Shoot Brian your concerns,

I am interested in the same thing. I am surprised though at the lack of interest in this thread :-).
    Would love to know the answer and I did email Rythmik today so let us see if they answer. Maybe I can drive to Austin and find out for myself.

I haven't heard the F15HP (or almost any subs in this class), but I got the F25 because it is sealed, has only slightly lower output around 20Hz and (I assume since it is sealed) higher output above and below that range, and was only a little more expensive.

I see it as this: If the huge size and slightly higher cost aren't an issue, why not get the sealed model? Other than low output, which isn't much of an issue in this case, I haven't heard any benefit of ported subs but have heard of many benefits of sealed.
    As an aside, the F25s are tall enough to use as an end table, though you'll want to protect the finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Sivar View Post
    I haven't heard the F15HP (or almost any subs in this class), but I got the F25 because it is sealed, has only slightly lower output around 20Hz and (I assume since it is sealed) higher output above and below that range, and was only a little more expensive.

I see it as this: If the huge size and slightly higher cost aren't an issue, why not get the sealed model? Other than low output, which isn't much of an issue in this case, I haven't heard any benefit of ported subs but have heard of many benefits of sealed.
    As an aside, the F25s are tall enough to use as an end table, though you'll want to protect the finish.
    IT would be nice to hear what you thiink of it. Can you please give us the benefit of your experience with this SUB? I think it is a better value than buying that Glossy finish on the FV15 for 1599.

Post Re: Differences between Rythmik FV15Hp and F25

I'm not sure what I can say that will be at all useful. I'll note a few general observations.

• I like them.
    • The room they are in is very open so the subwoofers have to pressurize practically the whole house. They will likely sound much, much more powerful in a sealed, small, dedicated home theater room.
    • I tend to reduce their volume by about 5dB when listening to music because otherwise they are a little overwhelming, but for bass heavy music they are powerful enough to turn up and vibrate just about everything.
    • I've had to put every decoration in the room on rubber padding to prevent annoying rattling sounds.
    • They don't seem to really "punch me in the gut" like a good car audio system, but then, I'm not sure what could in the terrible room these things serve. Maybe a pair of Seaton Submersive's, but those cost quite a bit more.

Thanks, really appreciate the info. did not feel the love from Rythmik and trying to save money for a possible Horizon center so going DIY and saving 1200 on two. Does not look like there are many F25s out there. I am glad you are enjoying yours.

Arrow Re: Differences between Rythmik FV15Hp and F25

I've since demo'd an SVS PB-2000. The PB-2000 is about half the cost of an F25 if you include shipping, is ported rather than sealed, and has a single 12" driver with a large port rather than dual 15" drivers.

Obviously these subs are in a different class so it would be unfair to compare output, but I can kind of compare them based on their sound characteristics at similar volume levels.
    Note that the following comparison sucks:

1. Different rooms (his is larger and closed, mine is smaller but open to the entire house)
    2. They are paired with different main speakers (he has Aperion Audio Verus Grands)
    3. Different pre-amp (UMC-200) and amp for those speakers (XPA-5)

My impressions:

• The SVS PB-2000 is an absolutely incredible subwoofer for the cost and driver size.
    • Playing the same songs sounded quite different -- much more different than I expected.
    • The SVS was more talkative, e.g. it seemed to rumble more often (at a wider frequency range) than the Rythmik. It seemed busy more often than not, whereas the Rythmik seems more "on and off".
    • The bass sounded flappier, looser, thumpier, and more intentional. My first two words should not be read with a negative connotation. The SVS did not at all sound obviously worse, just very different. (Note: We both use an 80Hz crossover for everything).
    • Specifically Timestretch by Bassnectar sounded flabby. I suggested it as a bass test song. On my subs, it physically rumbles the gut when bass is turned up. It isn't meant to be on the Focal audiophile reference CDs, just to test subwoofers in a more musical fashion than with frequency sweeps.
      My friend commented, "Where's the bass?" with the intention of lambasting the song, not the sub. This was reasonable because the sub had just been very impressive with most other test tracks, particularly, You are so Fucked by Infected Mushroom. Whatever frequencies were requested by Timestretch did not come across well in the SVS.

While I've researched audio in various ways for ages, I haven't actually auditioned much equipment. Based on research and numerous charts, I expected that quality subs playing the same song (within each subs freq range) would differ almost exclusively in output and in ways that one can compensate for with a simple mixer.

Many songs played on both systems sounded more akin to different remixes. It was a little surreal, especially since so many of my previous audio comparisons involved me being totally unable to tell between what were apparently "obvious" differences.

I would really like to bring an F25 to the other house (as it is a better test environment than my own) to directly compare the subs, but the F25 isn't exactly portable.