Thread: 170s vs 170 SE? And can one do a home upgrace with the new parts?

Default 170s vs 170 SE? And can one do a home upgrace with the new parts?

I have some really old CBM 170s that sound great. How much better are the SEs? I searched some but didn't find any specific comparisons.

Does one need to buy the SEs or can one save money by buying the new tweeter, woofer and crossover and DIY up to an SE?

Thanks for answers to what is probably an old and often asked question. Searching didn't help me much.

(Upgrade not upgrace - sorry)
    Last edited by donaldekelly; 07-22-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Default Re: 170s vs 170 SE? And can one do a home upgrace with the new parts?

Quote Originally Posted by donaldekelly View Post
    I have some really old CBM 170s that sound great. How much better are the SEs? I searched some but didn't find any specific comparisons.

Does one need to buy the SEs or can one save money by buying the new tweeter, woofer and crossover and DIY up to an SE?

Thanks for answers to what is probably an old and often asked question. Searching didn't help me much.
    I would say they are more similar than they are different. The SE's have a bit more bass with more punch and have a smoother and more extended top end response. The SE's also do much better at very loud listening levels.

We do offer a CBM-170 classic to SE upgrade -- the cost for the components (tweeter, crossover, woofer) is $260 for the pair + shipping. You are probably better off selling the classic 170's and just ordering new 170SE's...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I would say they are more similar than they are different. The SE's have a bit more bass with more punch and have a smoother and more extended top end response. The SE's also do much better at very loud listening levels.

We do offer a CBM-170 classic to SE upgrade -- the cost for the components (tweeter, crossover, woofer) is $260 for the pair + shipping. You are probably better off selling the classic 170's and just ordering new 170SE's...
    I don't know if you (Donald) saw the sale price on the CBM-170SEs right now, but you can buy them new for very close the price of the upgraded components. I suggest if you are interested you check out the current price on the webpage.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post