Thread: RAAL Towers to replace RBH Sound

Default RAAL Towers to replace RBH Sound

A little back ground.
    I owned a set of Sierra 2's. They have been replaced by RBH Sound SX-6300/R towers.
    As wonderful as the Sierra 2's were, I was always missing something. It was the mids and upper bass that the towers provided. Now I miss the RAAL ribbon that gave me such a super clear upper end. I did so much A/B test that I sacrificed the ribbon for for what I was missing in a tower.
    So I am at a point of wondering if I should buy the RAAL Towers to get back that ribbon sound. Can anyone tell me what they think of the RBH vs the RAAL towers. As you can see the RBH are an outstanding tower. A bit more expensive compared to the Sierra as well. My only complaint on the RBH is the bass is a little boomy to me. I however could only compare it to the Sierra 2 running with a Rythmik sub.
    Any opinions here. I am not looking to get rid of the RBH as I might move them into my HT set up. This is for an audio system set up only.

Default Re: RAAL Towers to replace RBH Sound

Curious if you use a sub?

Yes. Rythmik sub.

Interesting to know that you think the bass on the RBHs is boomy and they do not have a clean high end. I am waiting for my towers with RAAL and was second guessing myself when i came across the RBHs but they were way overpriced for me.
    All I hear here is that you would need a SUB for HT but for music I do believe the Towers go down to mid 30HZ range.
    I hope to be able to give a better idea on the bass in the Towers in a couple of weeks.
    Only the most die hard BASS fans feel like the Towers are a bit lacking in that area for HT but I have yet to see any negative posts for them whereas I have seen more than a few negative posts for every Speaker in the Sub 5K range.

The RBH's have an up to 6-8 db worth of exaggeration/emphasis between 80hz to 180hz.

The Sierra Towers are extremely linear and do not have that emphasis. If that emphasis is what you desire, you are not going to get it with the Sierra Towers.

With the Sierra-2's crossed to the Rythmik, unless you crossover at 200hz, and raise the gain on the sub, you also won't be able to recreate that that emphasis.

Ascend speakers are linear, they won't satisfy a basshead. The basshead would need to integrate a sub to his liking.
    Last edited by curtis; 07-21-2014 at 07:11 PM.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Audiolover458 View Post
    Interesting to know that you think the bass on the RBHs is boomy and they do not have a clean high end. I am waiting for my towers with RAAL and was second guessing myself when i came across the RBHs but they were way overpriced for me.
    All I hear here is that you would need a SUB for HT but for music I do believe the Towers go down to mid 30HZ range.
    I hope to be able to give a better idea on the bass in the Towers in a couple of weeks.
    Only the most die hard BASS fans feel like the Towers are a bit lacking in that area for HT but I have yet to see any negative posts for them whereas I have seen more than a few negative posts for every Speaker in the Sub 5K range.
    Dont get me wrong, the RBH are fantastic and the upper end just isn't as clear as a ribbon would be. I think I might just try the tower out. I have nothing to lose.