Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Dolby Atmos Speakers?

Default Re: Dolby Atmos Speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by cranster View Post
    I am considering mounting the 200's on the wall, but am waiting for the Sat's/Luna's!? I don't want anything to degrade the sound stage of the sierra's. I would love to hear from someone with the HTM-200's as atmos and sierrra's to get their impressions.
    I have the Towers and Horizon with the HTM's as surrounds, but do not have Atmos. I can say that the HTM's blend very well with my Sierra speakers. I was very surprised how well they stack up. I'm going to grab the Luna's when I can afford them, but I only anticipate a 10% or so improvement in performance, because I'm really happy with the HTM's. I think they would make fantastic Atmos speakers since the sound they produce is incredibly wide and accurate, just like all of the speakers that Dave makes.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    I have the Towers and Horizon with the HTM's as surrounds, but do not have Atmos. I can say that the HTM's blend very well with my Sierra speakers. I was very surprised how well they stack up. I'm going to grab the Luna's when I can afford them, but I only anticipate a 10% or so improvement in performance, because I'm really happy with the HTM's. I think they would make fantastic Atmos speakers since the sound they produce is incredibly wide and accurate, just like all of the speakers that Dave makes.
    I think I might give them a try. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yesplease View Post
    Another vote for the HTM-200se as ceiling speakers. I have 4 and they do a fantastic job. Here's what I did:

http://imgur.com/a/uw095
    Thanks very much for this post. I totally stole your idea for ceiling mounting 2 HTM-200SE's as top middles (2 more are on angled ceiling mounts as top fronts), but I made some changes. I didn't install the additional threaded rods for symmetrical mounting, and I used hex bolts instead of threaded rods.

I created a template of the speaker back on graph paper to correctly place where the holes would be drilled (2 for mounting and one for the speaker wire). Then I drilled small pilot holes to make it easier to place the backer boards in the the attic.

I put in 22"x1"x6" boards between the trusses where I wanted to mount the speakers, and used 2" L-brackets to hold them in place, mainly to keep the boards from popping up while pushing up on the mounting bolts from below. The weight of the speakers is primarily supported by the drywall, but the load is widely distributed. Once the boards were in place, I drilled the final holes through the drywall and the boards.

Instead of threaded rods, I bought 150mm long M6 hex bolts and M6 wing nuts. The wing nuts were spun close to the top of the bolt to near the hex head, the wings oriented toward the head, with a washer on after, then dropped through the mounting hole to the room below. The wing nut rests on the washer and supports the weight of the speaker while the bolts are threaded into the mounting holes on the speaker and the speaker wire is attached. Once the bolt is started, you can secure it to the speaker by driving the hex head a few turns with a socket wrench. Then, your build partner can hold the speaker in its final position on the ceiling while you spin down the wing nuts from the attic to hold it in place permanently. Even with the mounting holes off center, I found that the speakers would hold completely flush with no sagging. You can't tell afterward which side was secured. Total cost: about $25 and a few hours of trial and error.