Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What does "dynamic" mean?

Default Re: What does "dynamic" mean?

Okay, thanks again for helping me with this guys.

I've been looking for information on impulse response. What it means, how it affects sound, etc. I'm having a hard time finding something that isn't calculus heavy. I understand the dynamic compression idea. Can you explain to me how one of the most dynamic speakers can have a sens of 89db? I think if I understand this, I'll "get it".

Update: I just found a site that says that impulse response is basically how gracefully a driver settles down. Is that about right? Does waterfall measure this? And, how is this response affected with increased power? Trying to connect the dots. I'm wondering if "dynamics" with impulse response can be talked about separately from "dynamics" relating to compression?

You don't have to answer all that, I just wanted to show you my thoughts (hope it doesn't sound too crazy).

Thanks always!
    Last edited by j0nnyfive; 06-24-2014 at 10:04 PM. Reason: I found some explanations

Quote Originally Posted by j0nnyfive View Post
    Update: I just found a site that says that impulse response is basically how gracefully a driver settles down. Is that about right? Does waterfall measure this? And, how is this response affected with increased power? Trying to connect the dots. I'm wondering if "dynamics" with impulse response can be talked about separately from "dynamics" relating to compression?
    In simplest terms, Impulse Response (as being used in our discussion) is hitting the loudspeaker with a short burst of multiple frequencies and then comparing that measurement against the actual impulse signal. It is a mechanical impossibility for anything to reproduce a perfect Impulse Response -- in the case of loudspeakers -- there is how quickly the driver reacts and how quickly it settles down, and a host of other issues. This is different from compression but IMPO, is equally important in evaluating the dynamic capabilities of a loudspeaker. The faster a driver reacts and the faster it settles, the more accurately it will reproduce transients and thus it will sound more dynamic at the same volume level compared to another speaker that has poor transient accuracy. This is the reason you can listen to two different loudspeakers at the same volume level yet one sounds "tight" "fast" and "dynamic" while another sounds "muddy" "slow" etc.. that "muddy" "slow" sounding speaker might actually have a higher dynamic compression point than the other speaker, but which is the more dynamic speaker??

Can you explain to me how one of the most dynamic speakers can have a sens of 89db? I think if I understand this, I'll "get it".
    Because sensitivity is simply how efficient the loudspeaker is, how much output it will reproduce for a given amount of power. It provides no other information and has no relation to dynamics. It is like assuming you have one car that weighs 2 tons and another that weighs one ton. And then trying to assume which car is faster. Without additional information, you are not capable of making any conclusions... That 2 ton car might have a 600hp high performance engine while the 1 ton car might have a 40hp engine. Certainly that 1 ton car will be more efficient - use less fuel, but which one is the more dynamic car? Which will accelerate faster? Which will reach a higher speed? Which is more fun to drive
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I would still rather drive the 1 ton car. . . lol I'm kidding! Thank you so much, Dave!! Wow!! I got one of those rare "aha" moments!! I appreciate you taking time out to answer that for me. One of the first things I remember noticing about the Sierra Nrt when I first heard them was that they had a "startling" quality about them. That may have been why. Awesome. I feel like a kid with a new toy. lol Thanks again! I hope this might help someone else too.

Okay, one more question (maybe). Do you feel that the preference for horn speakers in the home environment has to do with the different opinions on the value of transient response vs dynamic compression ability? You said that in your personal opinion, the impulse response has as much value as "compression dynamics" (if I'm representing you correctly). From my novice perspective, the idea that some would prefer these big horn speakers and others prefer Sierra type speakers just seems bizarre. I know it probably doesn't to you, but from someone on the outside of this hobby looking in, it's kind of a weird thing. It seems like these big pro audio speakers with horns would introduce all kinds of artifacts that would affect impulse response. Do you mind sharing your opinion about this whole issue? A lot of people say they like the sound of the horn speakers and that they sound more dynamic even at low volumes. Do you think this is auditory illusion? In what way could a horn speaker sound dynamic at low volumes? What do you think they're hearing? (I understand the whole subjective preference idea. I'm trying to dig deeper.)

Take your time getting back with me, tho, I'm in no hurry. I know you're a working man! (gonna listen to that song now) Thanks again!
    Last edited by j0nnyfive; 06-25-2014 at 06:48 PM.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is... are you as confused as I am? Or is there something you know that I'm not seeing? The only thing I can think of is maybe a nostalgic coloration? And, I am curious about whether a horn can sound "dynamic" (in an objective sense) at lower volumes if it's impulse response isn't as good as a ribbon (or am I mistaken here)? As a clarification, when I said "the preference for horn speakers in the home", I didn't mean to sound like most prefer horn speakers. lol Sorry, kinda sounded like that. I meant only the people who do prefer horn speakers.

So, yeah. I'm curious as to why some people prefer horn speakers (in your opinion), and whether they actually CAN objectively measure "dynamic, even at low volumes", or if this is just some coloration or something.

I'm asking you because I trust you know what you're talking about. I know what a horn fan would say. I'm curious about what a dome & ribbon speaker designer would say. If you have time (I know, right?), you could get all historical and philosophical on me. Are there any big misconceptions out there about this issue that you could touch on? That would be awesome. lol Thanks! (Again, no rush. If you don't have time at all, I understand, trust me!)

Quote Originally Posted by j0nnyfive View Post
    Okay, one more question (maybe). Do you feel that the preference for horn speakers in the home environment has to do with the different opinions on the value of transient response vs dynamic compression ability? You said that in your personal opinion, the impulse response has as much value as "compression dynamics" (if I'm representing you correctly). From my novice perspective, the idea that some would prefer these big horn speakers and others prefer Sierra type speakers just seems bizarre. I know it probably doesn't to you, but from someone on the outside of this hobby looking in, it's kind of a weird thing. It seems like these big pro audio speakers with horns would introduce all kinds of artifacts that would affect impulse response. Do you mind sharing your opinion about this whole issue? A lot of people say they like the sound of the horn speakers and that they sound more dynamic even at low volumes. Do you think this is auditory illusion? In what way could a horn speaker sound dynamic at low volumes? What do you think they're hearing? (I understand the whole subjective preference idea. I'm trying to dig deeper.)

Take your time getting back with me, tho, I'm in no hurry. I know you're a working man! (gonna listen to that song now) Thanks again!
    I must have missed this...

I most definitely do not feel there is a "preference for horn speakers" in the home environment, quite the contrary actually. First off, horn speakers are not a type of tweeter, any tweeter can be horn loaded. Most horn loaded tweeters are just simple dome tweeters mounted in a horn. Pro audio companies prefer to use them because a horn can be used to direct the sound towards a particular area, which increases the efficiency in that particular area. Think of a light bulb, which sends light all directions, then take that light bulb and put it in a light umbrella. The exact same amount of light is produced by the bulb but now rather than having the light filling the room, it is focused into a specific area. The light will be brighter in that specific area, but barely any light will reach area's outside of the umbrella's reflective range.

I do not see how a horn loaded speaker would sound any more dynamic than using the same speaker without being horn loaded, provided that in both situations, the peaks are being reproduced without any form of dynamic compression. Keep in mind that horn loading would increase the efficiency in the specific coverage area, so if musical peaks in the non-horn loaded speaker are not being accurately reproduced, the horn loaded option would assist in achieving this and in this case, could sound more dynamic.

And yes, horn loading a driver does create issues with reflections where sound bounces around throughout the throat of the horn...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks for your explanation! Yeah, when I said "preference for horn speaker", what I really meant was "those who do prefer them" and not "most people prefer them". Sorry for the vague wording there. Thanks again!