Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sierra 1 VS. PSB Imagine B speakers

Default Sierra 1 VS. PSB Imagine B speakers

Is there anyone who has a pair of Sierra 1 that has also heard the PSB Imagine B? -Or has owned higher end PSB speakers? I am tempted to upgrade but not sure if it will be much of a jump. From the reviews they sound amassing so I am tempted. Any insights would be appreciated.
    many thanks!

Default Re: Sierra 1 VS. PSB Imagine B speakers

I looked online and found two people who have had both, auditioning both in their rooms. Each preferred the Sierra 1 but both still thought the PSB Imagine B was a very good speaker. The PSB was reported to be more a bit more forward and perhaps livelier than the Sierra 1 which seemed a touch more restrained. Even so the Sierra was more refined, balanced and powerful, especially noticeable in a larger room.

If it were me and I had the upgrade bug I would go for the Sierra 2, or get the Sierra 1 for now with the intention of upgrading components to the Sierra 2 later.

Mark

Thanks Mark. Good advice!

FYI, I ordered the Sierra 1 in the Cherry finish. Thanks for the encouragement!

Ohhh nice! Andrew I much look forward to hearing your impressions when they arrive.
    Mark

I received the Sierra 1s on Monday and have put about 10 hours on them (They are at my office in a near field set up) They look gorgeous and sound very good. Right off the bat, I'm not hearing a big improvement over my PSB Imagine B set. They are definitely as refined and there is slightly richer bass response but I'm not 100% sold. I'm guessing there needs to be some break in time before I decide to keep these. Any idea how long these should take to break in?

Andrew, I'm very interested in this comparison, having carefully auditioned the Imagine B but unable to hear any version of the Sierra prior to purchase. Am I right that you have the base Sierra-1, without the NRT tweeter? Do you have the satin or gloss cherry?

I had the opportunity to audition the Imagine B and found them a little more laid back. The details were all present but they seemed more veiled in their approach...requiring the listener to pay closer attention ..with my S1 NrTs...I felt the upper region was more detailed & airy and I simply preferred the way they accentuate the top end in that manner. As you mentioned the bass also had more presence. IMO...a better overall speaker...of course YYMV.

Anyhow...both are terrific speakers and Fwiw...the Imagine B retail here for what I paid for my NrTs at the time. For me it was an easy decision.

Re, Bill
    Last edited by billy p; 06-25-2014 at 09:18 AM. Reason: typo(accentuate)
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Thanks for your input Bill. I am still in the break-in period and I definitely think the Sierra is on par with the PSB. They sound pretty similar to my ear (other than the bass). It also depends on what music you throw at them. I'm listening to mostly rock and alternative rock (Listening to Steely Dan now and they sound very good)
    RE bobola's question. I have the satin cherry (b-stock) Very good looking speaker!

Yup.. Classic rock is my musical preference...if you can find some acoustic guitar CDs & try both...I know the Ascends really shine in that area.

Good luck...
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.