Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on new receiver with Sierra1s

Default Re: Need advice on new receiver with Sierra1s

Thanks, Curtis. I think you may be correct about the rolloff. I have not heard the sound enough to duplicate, so, I'm thinking it probably isn't speaker. I'm thinking of redoing everything. Maybe you can help.
    I've measured my room. I saw someone do a map layout, it that will help.
    I'm beginning to look at options...I'm leaning toward the Denon x4000. What do you have, if you don't mind?
    I'm also thinking of possibly the upgrade to sierra 2...but, what all does that include?
    I'm thinking of a sub, but, don't know if the one on sale is the right one. I'm open to all suggestions.
    My room is: 23'3" x 17'x 8'...is that enough info? I think the map thing will help.

Regarding a sub, you have a big space to fill. What would your budget be and are you open to running dual subs?

Well, of course budget is always important. with all the equipment, that's a hefty price. The RAAL Sierra 2 upgrade sounds right up my listening alley. So, with that said. I'm open to anything for the speculation. I wish I knew how to post my room picture. The thing about my room is that all wall space is pretty much taken, except one corner by my speakers, due to door space, cabinets and furniture.

What are thinking about? What sub/s are you liking? Do I need PB or SB?
    What AVR do you have? Do you have amp/preamp? That may be out of budget for me, but, I do really like a smooth sound.

I don't know my budget totally, yet. Thank you for your help. I'm out of my league!
    Last edited by catsAf; 06-04-2014 at 04:39 PM.

Hi catsAf,

My equipment consists of the following:
    Denon 4311ci
    Ascend Towers Nrt
    Ascent Horizon Nrt
    Rythmik E15HP sub

I love the E15HP. It pairs extremely well with my mains. Bass sounds like it's coming from my towers. It would set you back ~$1,300 with shipping.

Other subs I'd recommend you consider:
    - PSA XS15
    - SVS SB2000 (SVS offers 'free' shipping on returns, so you could try it without risk).
    - SVS SB13U

You have a large space so you might consider a ported sub. Rythmik's FV15HP is very popular.

Again it really depends on how much you're willing to spend.

Thank you for everything! I really appreciate your help! So, you are telling me the 15" sub vs the 12"? I'm pretty sure that's what you are!

Ooohwee.. do you run everything from your Denon AVR? I keep reading about needing another amp, which adds so much more. I don't listen too loudly.

I do use zone2 with another preamp and amp, cause that's how my bookshelf speakers were set up from the get go. They sound great.

I do have one more question, if you aren't too busy, or, for anyone else.

Since I'm thinking of upgrading Sierra 1s, do I need to upgrade the center?
    Last edited by catsAf; 06-04-2014 at 05:00 PM.

Glad to help out.

I would highly suggest upgrading all three front speakers. With the Sierra-2 you are switching out the tweeter, speaker and crossover...it's basically a different speaker. It's ideal to have matching speakers for your front stage. Surrounds you can get away with using a different model or brand.

As for subs, I'd say buy the best you can now to avoid, or postpone, the inevitable upgrade. If you can swing it, the Rythmik FV15HP is a great sub for both music and HT. If you listen primarily to music you may consider a sealed sub, something like the F15HP or E15HP. Start with one sub and then possibly add another one down the road to improve your frequency response (i.e., more even bass throughout your room) . If you don't want to spend that much, you could consider the XS15 from Power Sound Audio ($800 shipped) or something from Reaction Audio.

If I were you I'd would add a sub first, then upgrade my Sierras, and lastly upgrade my AVR. The AVR you have now is no slouch. It lacks some of the bells and whistles that exists on the X4000 (Audyssey XT32), but you'd definitely hear more of an upgrade from a sub and speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by jahjd2000 View Post

If I were you I'd would add a sub first, then upgrade my Sierras, and lastly upgrade my AVR. The AVR you have now is no slouch. It lacks some of the bells and whistles that exists on the X4000 (Audyssey XT32), but you'd definitely hear more of an upgrade from a sub and speakers.
    I totally agree with jahjd2000. Also, I would be curious Cats if you have run your Sierra 1's with your Hafler equipment and compared it there in the same room with your old ADS speakers. That would rule out a problem with your receiver or the room your Sierras are currently in.

My feeling on the matter: I think Cats you have a critical ear, and you might be especially sensitive to the slight dip the Sierra 1s have in the upper midrange frequency, around 3kHz. Your ADS speakers might even have a hump in this area, making the dip of the Sierra 1s all that much more noticeable when listening to certain kinds of music. If I was to bet, I'm guessing that this relative recess in the upper mids may take away somewhat from the 'open' sound you like. Given this is indeed the case, upgrading to the Sierra 2's - which is a very different beast - I'm sure will leave you grinning ear to ear!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by catsAf View Post
    I need a new receiver with network now to listen to more music via internet.
    What about getting a Google Chromecast? If you have a smartphone or tablet, you can stream internet music as well as youtube.
    Nate

Mark--I think you really summed up my problem! I know I have a critical ear, unfortunately, but, never knew the Sierra's even had a dip--but, that is what I hear. This a.m. I was thinking about my ADS vs Sierras, and know exactly what you are saying, because I believe that you have explained my situation.
    Jahjd2000, I believe your thought pattern is very thoughtful, and also, right on the money....I think you are correct about the needing the sub.
    Between both of you, I definitely think I am needing both the sub upgrade and the Sierra upgrade.
    What started my whole quest was that i wanted to stream ethernet through an AVR! LOL!!! Isn't that the way it always is? You start something, and it ALWAYS leads you to more places than you thought you'd be going.
    SO, Mark, the Sierra 2, you think will hit my "sweet listening spot?" =) I'm getting excited.
    I have the bamboo, and I've emailed Ascend to see if they think mine can be upgraded without any cutting. Otherwise, I'll be sending them in, if I can find out how much that'll cost. upgrading 3, yikes.
    So, getting back to the sub--jahjd2000, do you like your compact sub?
    Oh, natetg57, I'm just seeing your excellent suggestion. Alas, I don't have a smartphone or tablet...I'm pretty old school....but, great thought! Thanks!

Hi Cats,

Following up on the theme of Nate's suggestion, what many people do is connect an internet streaming device to their receiver, rather than requiring the receiver itself be able to to stream. Since you don't have a mobile device required by chromecast, an alternative is the small Apple TV device. It costs about $100. It has an hdmi and optical out, which you could connect to your receiver. The Apple TV connects wirelessly to the internet (through your wifi modem/router). Among many other things, Apple TV has iTunes Radio, which is a free music streaming service. Also, if you have iTunes on your computer, the Apple TV can access it and feed your iTunes music (and videos) to your receiver. Just another alternative to getting a new receiver.

Edit: the Apple TV also has an ethernet port, in case you aren't wireless.

And oh yes, I think the Sierra 2 will hit your sweet listening spot.

Mark
    Last edited by markie; 06-05-2014 at 07:57 PM.