Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on new receiver with Sierra1s

Default Need advice on new receiver with Sierra1s

Hello. I am new to forum.
    I have had my Sierra 1s for a long while, and have had Denon 2809ci since I got my Sierras.
    I love the speakers. I need a new receiver with network now to listen to more music via internet.
    I currently run with no sub, and have not been too satisfied with the sound. Probably my fault. I ran the Audessy, but, have never been too happy with the mid range since I've had the setup. My current setup is in a 22 x 16 ' room. My backs (side surrounds) are Celestions, while my fronts (L/R/C) are the Sierra 1. The backs sound more open and wide than the fronts. I have no idea if I've set the Denon up correctly, unfortunately.
    But, I do want a new receiver. The Yamaha line sounds great to me, but, anything over the 1030 is too deep for my entertainment stand. So, I know that many of you like the Denon x4000. I'm wondering if it will get a flatter, more open sound with the Sierra 1. Also, I'm wondering if I don't like the sound so much, because I don't have a sub. The Rhytmics look nice, but, they are pretty expensive for me currently. I guess I'm just asking for advice. I know I have great speakers. I'm just not sure how to make them the best sounding they can be, and now, I'm looking to get them to sound like they were intended. Can anyone guide this little newbie...there is so much information. I feel lost, and don't know where to start.

Thanks

Default Re: Need advice on new receiver with Sierra1s

Have you tried turning the Audyssey room correction off? I prefer it that way in my room.
    Nate

I am of the sub variety so I will say 'yes', a sub will substantially upgrade your listening experience. When I first got my Sierra towers I would listen to them in direct mode (no sub) to enjoy the mid range and vastly improved sound stage. Now I exclusively play music in 2.1 mode with a Rythmik E15HP filling in the lows. I love it. The Rythmik blends in so well with my towers. You'll hear from a lot of people that a good sub can make your speakers sound better.

As your receiver, if I had to replace my Denon 4311 it would be with a X4000.
    Last edited by jahjd2000; 06-03-2014 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    Have you tried turning the Audyssey room correction off? I prefer it that way in my room.
    Yes--I used to play it that way all the time. Then, I couldn't figure out what I was missing and just started messing around playing it during movies. So now, sometimes I turn it on and sometimes off. I'm just puzzled as to why people like it so much....I know it must be because I'm not sophisticated enough, or something to get it set correctly.

What type of Audessy does your model have? I'm wondering if the XT32 will be what I can use....Thanks again!

So now, do you hear the midrange better, and is the soundstage more open with the sub, then. Do you use one or two subs?
    Do you listen with your Audessy in for acoustic music?

Quote Originally Posted by catsAf View Post
    Yes--I used to play it that way all the time. Then, I couldn't figure out what I was missing and just started messing around playing it during movies. So now, sometimes I turn it on and sometimes off. I'm just puzzled as to why people like it so much....I know it must be because I'm not sophisticated enough, or something to get it set correctly.

What type of Audessy does your model have? I'm wondering if the XT32 will be what I can use....Thanks again!
    I have the Denon 991. I think it's just XT. sometimes Audyssey boosts the upper bass too much, making the sound too 'thick'.
    Nate

Well, that was my impression.....If anyone on reading this thread has the XT32, does it produce a flatter sound?

Thanks!

Midrange clarity should not be an issue with any Ascend speaker.

How do you have the speakers positioned? What are they mounted/sitting on? Did you run the Audessey routine with the speakers in their current position?
    -curtis

They are on the stands I bought from Ascend. Yes, the Audessy was run with everything the way it is. They don't sound muddy, if that's what you thought I meant. Sometimes I hear a bit of distortion from my facing right speaker, which is odd.But not often. But Mainly, on recordings where I know what to listen for in the upper midrange, it just doesn't seem to be there. For instance, on one of Renee flemings discs, there are some orchestral parts that seem very weak compared with my old ADS speakers. Those speakers, though, I run through an old Hafler preamp and amp. Movies sound great, but, the way movies are mixed, sublety doesn't seem to be the order of the day, sometimes. =). Don't get me wrong--I love the speakers. I wonder what I'm doing wrong, and am now wondering if I need the upgrade kit to the Sierra 2's. I just thought the Denon pumped the bass more. From reading people's thoughts hear and AVS Forums, it sounds like people use the Audessy, etc. as a stepping stone, and still use EQ....I just didn't want to have to do that, since I'm one that just wants to set it and go...perhaps that's not the way it is in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by catsAf View Post
    They are on the stands I bought from Ascend. Yes, the Audessy was run with everything the way it is. They don't sound muddy, if that's what you thought I meant. Sometimes I hear a bit of distortion from my facing right speaker, which is odd.But not often. But Mainly, on recordings where I know what to listen for in the upper midrange, it just doesn't seem to be there. For instance, on one of Renee flemings discs, there are some orchestral parts that seem very weak compared with my old ADS speakers. Those speakers, though, I run through an old Hafler preamp and amp. Movies sound great, but, the way movies are mixed, sublety doesn't seem to be the order of the day, sometimes. =). Don't get me wrong--I love the speakers. I wonder what I'm doing wrong, and am now wondering if I need the upgrade kit to the Sierra 2's. I just thought the Denon pumped the bass more. From reading people's thoughts hear and AVS Forums, it sounds like people use the Audessy, etc. as a stepping stone, and still use EQ....I just didn't want to have to do that, since I'm one that just wants to set it and go...perhaps that's not the way it is in real life.
    Hopefully someone that knows how Audessey works on your particular receiver can chime in, but in some instances of have a rolloff that you can be hearing. Does your receiver support different Audessey curves...is there a setting called "flat"?

As for the distortion, just swap the L/R speakers, if the distortion follows the speaker, then there is something wrong with the speaker, if it doesn't follow the speaker, there is something wrong upstream.

And of course, your old setup could have been accentuating something that the current setup isn't.
    -curtis