Thread: Hello & Requesting Advice!

Default Hello & Requesting Advice!

Hey guys & gals,
    My name is Mitch and I'm from beautiful East TN. Thankful to be a part of this great forum. I don't own any Ascend products (yet) but was looking for some help. I've called poor Dina at Ascend and she's been on the phone with me for about 30+ minutes twice. Exceptional customer service from a great company. I currently have an Energy Veritas 6.2 tower set up & a 5.2 center. No sub and surrounds due to moving back in with parents while I finish my second degree. While I love my Veritas, I feel like something is missing. My speakers would be used primarily for HT use with blu rays & sports. I would find myself listening to more music. I know I would.

I've never owned "expensive" speakers and was wondering if the 2's OR the Raal Towers would best suit me. I would love to get the RAAL Horizon, but it's out of the question at this point unless I get the 2's and take the rest of the money to spend on the Horizon. Would you guys opt for the 2's and buy a Rythmik, 2's with a Horizon, or the RAAL Towers? I've never heard the Ascends, but based on reviews & customer service alone, I wouldn't mind them taking my money This is a lot of money but I know in the event of future upgrades, they would more than pay for themselves. Thanks in advance & looking forward to learning more.

Default Re: Hello & Requesting Advice!

Hi Mitch,

The Veritas are fine speakers for the money. Could you articulate what you feel is missing in the Veritas? Now, the RAAL Sierras are definitely a big step up. You would find the main difference would be a big increase in resolution and the cleanness and tightness of the sound. But aside from that, I get the feeling you may be experiencing some listener fatigue with the Veritas. If you find yourself getting a little turned off music after (say) half an hour or so, this may indeed be the case. (I know the Veritas have an aluminum dome tweeter implementation which may tend to some forwardness and brightness which may be fatiguing for some people.) So if this is true, the Sierra 2 or Sierra tower would be the perfect antidote: - airy, resolving, yet smooth, smooth smooth.

Mark

I think if I were going to go with the Sierra 2 as mains, I might also go with Sierra 2 as center channel. This is just me thinking aloud but I should think there may be some difference in the Horizon and the 2,s. May not be an issue due to the RAAL, but the 2,s are a two way and the Horizon are 3. Having youre L/C/R front stage match makes a difference for HT. As I haven't heard the 2,s or the horizon, yet, I can't say for sure. Again, just speculation. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by loonytunes View Post
    I think if I were going to go with the Sierra 2 as mains, I might also go with Sierra 2 as center channel. This is just me thinking aloud but I should think there may be some difference in the Horizon and the 2,s. May not be an issue due to the RAAL, but the 2,s are a two way and the Horizon are 3. Having youre L/C/R front stage match makes a difference for HT. As I haven't heard the 2,s or the horizon, yet, I can't say for sure. Again, just speculation. Anyone else have thoughts on this?
    I've heard the 2's produce quite a soundstage for their size with great imaging. I can't find any information/specs on the Sierra 2 center. I'm wondering if it is equipped with RAAL.

Quote Originally Posted by UNCMT9 View Post
    I've heard the 2's produce quite a soundstage for their size with great imaging. I can't find any information/specs on the Sierra 2 center. I'm wondering if it is equipped with RAAL.
    The center would be simply a Sierra 2. Not for certain, but, you could probably order it with the RAAL turned 90 degrees so you could place it horizontally.

Quote Originally Posted by loonytunes View Post
    The center would be simply a Sierra 2. Not for certain, but, you could probably order it with the RAAL turned 90 degrees so you could place it horizontally.
    That is exactly what is done when ordered as a horizontal center, it also comes with a full length grille.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    That is exactly what is done when ordered as a horizontal center, it also comes with a full length grille.
    Thanks.