Thread: Gloss finish & nearfield question on sierra1& 2

Default Gloss finish & nearfield question on sierra1& 2

Hello,

new to the forum, seems like a great community, very informative as well, currently, im running the b&w 685... and im tired of it, it does pretty fine in the living room but in my small rectangular room, its simply annoying!! i thought maybe its the walls and room issues, but then i tried out some Adam f5 for a month and they were simply awsome! couldnt get enough of the ribbon tweeter... kinda like when u eat ur favorite cake, u can just keep eating and eating , as if your stomach has unlimited space for it... endless satisfaction... lol .. although the only thing that bothered me about it was the actual integrated amplifier was never silent, and felt weird, wasnt solid, and it wasnt loud enough...

Anyways, been looking at a passive bookshelf that would be more inclined/similar to studio monitors, i simply love the sound of studio monitors... (adam f5, krk rockit) ... i guess its called neutral sounding, not harsh, smooth, detailed , and clear.

At first Dynaudio was my #1 choice.. but since the price is pretty steep, (only interested in focus 140 and 160), Ascend acoustics seems like an awsome alternative... i rly admire how meticulous the craftmanship seems to be as well as the quality chosen components.

Anyways my weird question, does anyone used the high gloss finish for nearfield, is it bothering when lights are dimmed or closed, when you see a movie, is it always there in the corner of your eye? how about when the sun hit on them, do they glare alot?

I suppose nearfield with either sierra-1 or sierra-2 is very good, just want to confirm this...

I simply cannot use the 685 for nearfield...

thx
    Last edited by 18inch; 06-02-2014 at 05:59 AM.

Default Re: Gloss finish & nearfield question on sierra1& 2

Quote Originally Posted by 18inch View Post
    Hello,

new to the forum, seems like a great community, very informative as well, currently, im running the b&w 685... and im tired of it, it does pretty fine in the living room but in my small rectangular room, its simply annoying!! i thought maybe its the walls and room issues, but then i tried out some Adam f5 for a month and they were simply awsome! couldnt get enough of the ribbon tweeter... kinda like when u eat ur favorite cake, u can just keep eating and eating , as if your stomach has unlimited space for it... endless satisfaction... lol .. although the only thing that bothered me about it was the actual integrated amplifier was never silent, and felt weird, wasnt solid, and it wasnt loud enough...

Anyways, been looking at a passive bookshelf that would be more inclined/similar to studio monitors, i simply love the sound of studio monitors... (adam f5, krk rockit) ... i guess its called neutral sounding, not harsh, smooth, detailed , and clear.

At first Dynaudio was my #1 choice.. but since the price is pretty steep, (only interested in focus 140 and 160), Ascend acoustics seems like an awsome alternative... i rly admire how meticulous the craftmanship seems to be as well as the quality chosen components.

Anyways my weird question, does anyone used the high gloss finish for nearfield, is it bothering when lights are dimmed or closed, when you see a movie, is it always there in the corner of your eye? how about when the sun hit on them, do they glare alot?

I suppose nearfield with either sierra-1 or sierra-2 is very good, just want to confirm this...

I simply cannot use the 685 for nearfield...

thx
    Just as an FYI, the Sierra 1/2 can be ordered with satin finishes which are far less reflective than the gloss finishes.

Jay

Default Re: Gloss finish & nearfield question on sierra1& 2

Hi 18inch and welcome to the forum.

The High Gloss finishes are HIGHLY reflective, like a mirror, they will reflect everything. I agree with Jay -- if you are against glare, go with any of the satin finishes or even the natural.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com