Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Finally! Thoughts on new towers

Default Re: Finally! Thoughts on new towers

Audiolover,
    You're rceiver looks plenty capable of running the towers. The only thing you would gain from a new receiver is newer features. They change almost every year so playing "keep up" with receiver features can put you in the poor house. If the Onkyo does what you need it to do, I don't see the need to upgrade it at this point. I would look at sub/s next. Get the heavy bass load off of your receiver and the towers. After that, the center channel. You're di-pole rears are quite sufficient for surround, upgrade those at your leisure.
    If after all that you feel the need for more wattage, then buy an amp. Emo makes a great amp at a great price. I don't hear any coloration from my Emo. The Bryston is a good amp as well, but at 3-4 x the price? Maybe it's worth it, don't know, haven't heard one. I hear McIntosh is great too, I still couldn't afford one.
    Thats my two centavos.

Quote Originally Posted by loonytunes View Post
    Audiolover,
    You're rceiver looks plenty capable of running the towers. The only thing you would gain from a new receiver is newer features. They change almost every year so playing "keep up" with receiver features can put you in the poor house. If the Onkyo does what you need it to do, I don't see the need to upgrade it at this point. I would look at sub/s next. Get the heavy bass load off of your receiver and the towers. After that, the center channel. You're di-pole rears are quite sufficient for surround, upgrade those at your leisure.
    If after all that you feel the need for more wattage, then buy an amp. Emo makes a great amp at a great price. I don't hear any coloration from my Emo. The Bryston is a good amp as well, but at 3-4 x the price? Maybe it's worth it, don't know, haven't heard one. I hear McIntosh is great too, I still couldn't afford one.
    Thats my two centavos.
    Hi Looney, Thank you so much for confirming this, I do not need any more bells and whistles at this time for this system and neither do I have the budget. The issues I was/am struggling with is if the Towers do not sound good with the Onkyo then I would be mad at myself for not having enough power.
    I have a brand new JL-F113 coming to me this Friday. I know I have even heard Dave suggest that it is not as good as the Rhythik but it is beautiful, goes down low enough and is a Beast of a Machine.
    The WAF Factor Alone would allow me to maybe get the Emotiva AMP this Year :-). I also have an Energy 5.2 Front besides the Aperion which I can use in the mean time and the Rears are really decent speakers for a surround even though they are nowhere close to the Sierra's but again great to look at and have enough power to make the noise. For Music I plan to listen in 2.1 mode any way. Now I am struggling between which Emotiva to plan for. After looking at the XPA-3 and XPA-5 and reading some reviews and Audioholics (btw it seems like they do not have too many posts in 2014) I am actually leaning towards XPA-2 at first to drive the Two Towers and Then may swing for the XPa-3 at a later time for the Center and Surrounds.

NOW THE WAIT FOR THE TOWERS IS EXCRUCIATING :-) :-).
    I will run A/B against my Infinity to at least see how awesome the Towers are compared to them. I may even go spend 50 bucks on eBayy to get the Rubber Surrounds to repair them for this. Who knows someone may buy them for their DIY Cabinets. Their Cabinets are Natural like the Bamboo and are very very solid. I had paid 2000 for the pair in 2000 I believe.

Minimum wattage requirement on the towers is 25 watts. You more than have that covered. It will depend on your listening preference and room response.

Minimum wattage requirement on the towers is 25 watts. You more than have that covered. It will depend on your listening preference and room response.
    Wonder how loud they sound with 25 Watts?

I agree it does not look like the Onkyo lacks too much power unless all the speakers need a lot of volume or if i was running 7.1. I was wondering how I can tell what it does with all channels driven. These manufacturers of AVR generally only give you the specs with Two channels driven.
    My living room has crazy shape. It has bamboo floor and 24x24x9. Then behind it there is the open dinning area with 14x14 by 12 ft high slanted ceiling and the dinning room is open to the 2nd floor office. To the right of the dinning room is another opening to the Breakfast area and kitchen so sound will escape there. To the left of the Living room is the formal sitting area which is 12x12 and there is no door to it either.
    The Speakers will be placed where the Dinning and Living room meet. The dinning room is a ft higher than the living room so it looks separated and there is simply a railing between the two rooms.
    I now have to find a way to get the F113 back into the living room. My current Boston PV1000 is sitting in the dining area in a corner behind the left speaker but between that and the Cs3008's 10 in Woofer I can still hear the low notes, just not as clear or as powerful. We shall see what happens once the Towers get here.

I would guess around 80 watts. There is a formula for figuring this but since math was never my strong suit can't give you an exact figure. It looks like your room is quite large. 5000+ ft/3. That is considered a large room. Don't be too dissapointed if you don't reach the desired SPL. I would say you have a good case for an amp based on room size alone. Ill see what I can dig up on the WPC.

Here's a peak SPL calculator. It will help you gauge how many watts you need.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Now you have to figure out how loud you listen to your material.
    -curtis

Thanks Curtis.

This calculator doesn't take into affect room size. In a large open room such as Audiolover has, won't spl be affected?

Also wpc is somewhat conjectural if runing surround due to receiver rating. If i'm on the right track, volts x amps = watts? Trying to remember my electrical formulas here. Still trying to figure out what Audiolover would actually be runing 5 channels driven.

Seeing as Audiolover is getting the towers and they seem to be pretty easy to run with his Onkyo, I be interested to find out the distance at his listening position will be. That may well play into how loud he would perceive it. Farther away more power, closer less power would be my thought.

Exactly, and given the size and layout of his room, I suspect this is where his original concerns stemmed from.

Thanks Curtis.

This calculator doesn't take into affect room size. In a large open room such as Audiolover has, won't spl be affected?

Also wpc is somewhat conjectural if runing surround due to receiver rating. If i'm on the right track, volts x amps = watts? Trying to remember my electrical formulas here. Still trying to figure out what Audiolover would actually be runing 5 channels driven.
    For other than bass, it has more to do with distance from the speakers than the size of the room.
    -curtis